When it comes to interior design, colour is one of the most important elements. It can be used to create a mood, set a tone and even affect your emotions. That’s why it’s important to choose the right colour scheme for your home. In this blog post, we will discuss some tips and best practices for choosing the right colours for your space!
What is a colour scheme?
A colour scheme is a combination of colours that are used together in a design. It can be as simple as two colours or it can include a variety of hues, tints and shades. When choosing colour schemes for your home, you’ll want to consider the overall mood you want to create.
Do you want something calming and serene? Or do you prefer a more energetic and lively space? Once you’ve decided on the mood, you can start picking out colours!
Some popular colour schemes include:
- Monochromatic – This scheme uses different shades and tones of one colour. Monochromatic schemes are often very tranquil and relaxing.
- Complementary – This scheme uses two colours that are opposite each other on the colour wheel. Complementary schemes are often very vibrant and can be used to make a bold statement.
- Analogous – This scheme uses three colours that are next to each other on the colour wheel. Analogous schemes are often very harmonious and can create a sense of unity in a space.
- Triadic – This scheme uses three colours that are evenly spaced apart on the colour wheel. Triadic schemes are often very bold and can be used to make a statement or add some drama to a space.
Now that you know what a colour scheme is, let’s discuss some tips for choosing the right one!
1. Consider your home’s architecture.
When selecting a colour scheme, it’s important to consider the architecture of your home. For example, if you have a lot of natural light, you might want to use lighter colours to help reflect that light. If you have a more traditional space, you might want to use colours that are found in nature.
2. Use inspiration boards.
Once you’ve considered the architecture of your home, it’s time to start gathering inspiration! Create an inspiration board online or in a physical notebook and start saving images that speak to you.
When looking for inspiration, pay attention to the colour schemes used in the images. You can also save images of furniture, fabric patterns, artwork, etc. that you love. This will help give you a better idea of what colours you’re drawn to.
3. Test out the colours.
Once you’ve narrowed down your colour scheme, it’s time to test it out! Purchase some paint samples from your local home improvement store and paint swatches on your walls. You can also drape fabric samples over furniture or lay them on the floor.
Observe how the colours look in different lighting conditions throughout the day. And don’t forget to ask for input from family and friends!
We hope these tips have helped you in choosing a colour scheme for your home! Remember, there are no rules when it comes to interior design. So have fun with it and make your space reflect your unique style!