Vitamin B is a group of 8 vitamins that are water-soluble and perform vital roles in promoting health and wellness.
The eight B vitamins with their names are, B1 (thiamin), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6 (pyridoxine), B7 (biotin), B9 ( folate or ‘folic acid’), B12 (cyanocobalamin).
Following is a discussion about the importance of vitamin B9 for men and women.
Vitamin B9 also called folate or folic acid is an important vitamin for growth and development. This vitamin has its importance for men and women due to its amazing properties.
Benefits of vitamin B9 in men
For men, vitamin B9 performs the following roles
- Improve cardiovascular health: Folic acid prevents anemia, thus prevent the heart and blood vessels from damage by overload. Having a healthy RBC count and sufficient iron in your blood makes oxygenation easy, thus the load on the heart is reduced and the cardiac muscles are not exhausted. Contrary to that, with reducing RBC count and iron deficiency anemia, the heart has to exert more force to fulfill the body’s demand for oxygen that damages the cardiac muscles and vascular smooth muscles.
- Supporting fertility: little research is done on this, but the existing studies say that a good amount of folic acid is required for men to produce healthy sperms.
- Preventing erectile dysfunction: Folic acid makes red blood cells and improves circulation. Erectile dysfunction is the inability of men to achieve a normal erection due to a lack of oxygenated blood flow to the genitals. So by having enough amount of folic acid the risk of having erectile dysfunction is reduced, as folic acid keeps the oxygen-carrying capacity and red blood cells count at a healthy limit. Erectile dysfunction however is treated with drugs called apcalis oral jelly which is available on this website. These drugs improve the circulation to the target site but it works only when your blood has sufficient healthy red blood cells count to fulfill the oxygen demands.
- Help against depression: Research shows that men having a low level of folate, suffers frequently from mood disorders, which suggests that having normal folic acid in their blood will help relieve and prevent depression and stress.
Benefits of vitamin B9 in women:
Compared to males, females require more folic acid, as they are more at risk of developing anemic conditions. The reasons why every woman needs folic acid are,
- Prevent anemia: Due to menstrual blood, loss girls are at risk of developing iron-deficiency anemia. The folic acid in Vitamin B9 helps regulate the iron levels in the blood, to make enough hemoglobin for RBC that can carry sufficient oxygen to all parts of the body.
- Prevent birth defects: Two very common birth defects that occur due to low levels of vitamin B9 in the mother’s blood are neural tube defects and congenital heart malformations. Because the fetus gets nourishment from the mother, these defects can be prevented if the mother is healthy. Research says 50 to 70% of neural tube defects can be prevented if the mothers take regular folic acid supplements. Similarly, congenital heart malformations and septal defects can also be prevented by having a good amount of iron in the mother’s bloodstream.
Sources of vitamin B9:
- Green leafy vegetables, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, spinach, asparagus, beans, lentils, wheat germ, yeast, eggs, peanuts, orange, banana, beets, strawberries, beef liver, and fortified food products are good food sources of vitamin B9.
- Besides food products, folic acid supplements are present that are effective for maintaining healthy vitamin B9 levels in the body.
- Before taking any supplement, do consult a doctor as excess of vitamin B9 can also be dangerous.