My Updated AncestryDNA Results

In early 2016, I took an Ancestry DNA test, and in February 2016, I received my AncestryDNA test results.  I was very excited to see what my results would be.  You can read about that here.

I have been logging in to my Ancestry and AncestryDNA accounts on a regular basis, to work on my family tree and to see if I have any new DNA matches.

I recently logged in after a friend mentioned that her DNA results had been updated.  I was very interested to see what might have changed.

AncestryDNA - Marysa

While it is a little hard to grasp why my estimates have changed so much, I see that the reference samples have increased from 3,000 to over 16,000.  I have noticed my DNA matches have increased quite a bit over the years (mostly distant cousins), and it seems like AncestryDNA has grown a lot overall.  A couple years ago, I didn’t know anyone who had taken an Ancestry DNA test, and now I have several friends and family members who have taken it.

Ancestry DNA reference samples

I can still see my previous results, and Ancestry also shows me the comparison. You can see how not only did my results change, but the regions are also more refined.

ANcestry DNA change

Previously, I was 51% from Great Britain and 46% Eastern European, so it is a big change.

Ancestry DNA results 2016

My husband also saw some big changes in his DNA samples.

Ancestry DNA Peter

He also had a lot of big changes – losing much of his original Irish estimate and lots of other big increases and decreases.

He also had a new breakdown, showing migrations within the United States.

If you haven’t logged into AncestryDNA in a while, be sure to log in and see your updates!

Check out my other posts here:

My AncestryDNA Results (from 2016)

Getting Started with Ancestry and AncestryDNA

Save 15% off an AncestryDNA kit: http://refer.dna.ancestry.com/s/marysa6

By | 2018-09-25T11:42:30+00:00 September 24th, 2018|Product Reviews|20 Comments

1. Amber Myers September 25, 2018 at 12:18 pm - Reply

What cool results! I need to do this. I’m always curious on where I came from. I think my aunt did this and a lot of us seem to be from Germany and Ireland.

2. candy September 25, 2018 at 12:35 pm - Reply

We have done this with two different types of DNA testing companies and it was exciting to see the results and compare the two. They were both just about the same. All give different information so it is fun to see.

3. GiGi Eats September 25, 2018 at 1:33 pm - Reply

When I did 23 & Me – initially I had results that did not seem 100% right. But then a month or so later they changed!! I think that as things develop they just change but now my ancestry looks the way it should, minus a little Asia, which I am very confused as to where that comes from but also intrigued!

4. Jeanette September 25, 2018 at 2:10 pm - Reply

I have always been curious about this. I do have a good idea of where I come from because I have a genealogist in my family but it would still be fun to try this and see what it comes up with. I’m hoping at some point today just for curiosity sake.

5. Melanie September 25, 2018 at 2:19 pm - Reply

My husband has a friend who did this and liked the results. It was interesting to find out more about his family.

6. Tasheena September 25, 2018 at 3:27 pm - Reply

My brother-in-law and his sister did this. I have to remind him to check on updates. I’ve always wanted to learn more about myself. I have to look into getting this done.

7. Dana Rodriguez September 25, 2018 at 4:38 pm - Reply

I have thought about doing this. I find it really interesting!

8. SHELLEY KING September 25, 2018 at 5:33 pm - Reply

I have always been curious about this because my family knows nothing much about our heritage. I also would be interested in doing this for my adopted children. I will have to tell my friends who have done this to check for updates.

9. Jenn@Engineermommy September 25, 2018 at 6:21 pm - Reply

I know someone else who did this and had a great expeirence. I have always wondered about my ancestry. I would love to try this out for myself!

10. Kim Croisant September 25, 2018 at 9:07 pm - Reply

I always wonder how true those tests are. I took something similiar once and I still don’t understand the findings.

11. Ashley September 25, 2018 at 10:25 pm - Reply

I have been thinking about doing this for awhile. It would be interesting to know what my results would be.

12. Pam September 25, 2018 at 10:55 pm - Reply

This is interesting. I have been considering getting one of these DNA tests done.

13. Dennis Littley September 25, 2018 at 11:37 pm - Reply

Oh wow I bet that took a moment to absorb the changes, in a way. Sounds very interesting and informative!

14. Terri Steffes September 26, 2018 at 2:03 am - Reply

I never knew they changed! I’ll have to go back and see if mine changed after my sister and mom did theirs. I can’t wait to go and look.

15. Ricci September 26, 2018 at 7:26 am - Reply

How neat to receive updated ancestry results! I would love to do this and see where I really come from! I think it would be so cool to do this!!

16. Nancy at Whispered Inspirations September 26, 2018 at 1:28 pm - Reply

I need to do this! I didn’t know you can get updated results. I will have to check this out. Thanks for sharing.

17. Chubskulit Rose September 26, 2018 at 2:09 pm - Reply

I haven’t done any DNA testing but always think of doing so because I am curious of our ancestral history. I would love to do this soon.

18. Sara Welch September 26, 2018 at 8:26 pm - Reply

This is something I totally have to do. I would love to see where my ancestors come from.

19. Heather September 27, 2018 at 1:15 pm - Reply

What an exciting way to find out about your ancestry! I’ve always wanted to do this but just haven’t. I definitely need to order a kit.

20. Anosa Malanga September 28, 2018 at 8:32 am - Reply

I think I tried answering a test with a result like this. I just forgot the results that I got. I guess, I should try this again and let’s see how will the outcome be.