Emerald Lake State Park, Dorset, VT

We were blessed with some nice fall weather and decided to go on a weekend camping trip in September.  In previous years, we have camped in September and October only to be greeted by cold and rainy weather, so we had to take advantage of the nice weather!

Emerald Lake State Park is in the Green Mountain National Forest in Dorset, and an easy drive to us from New York to Southern Vermont.

Vermont

The park is easy to find, just off Route 7.

Emerald Lake State Park

The campground here is pretty big.  I remember driving through in the summertime, and it was extremely busy.  The campsites aren’t very spread out, and there is a busy highway just outside the campground, so you get a lot of road noise.  The sites aren’t very secluded, and some have a lot of gravel as well.

Emerald Lake State Park Campsites Dorset Vermont

We had decided not to go during busy season, but in mid-September it was pretty nice.

Emerald Lake Campground

Our leanto was “Sycamore”.  We did find there was a lot of road noise there, but had a beautiful view in the morning.

Emerald Lake State Park Vermont

There are bathroom facilities here.

Emerald Lake Bathroom

Emerald Lake Bathrooms

You don’t have to camp at Emerald Lake State Park – you can just go for the day to use the day-use area.

Emerald Lake State Park

The lake is named after it’s emerald green water.

Emerald Lake State Park

There are a variety of boats available for rent.  There is only non-motorized boating on the lake, which makes it peaceful for swimming, stand-up-paddleboards, and so on.

Emerald Lake State Park Paddle Boats

If you bring your own kayak or other boat, you can launch near the parking lot and paddle in.

Emerald Lake State Park

There is a small beach, which is nice for playing and swimming.

Emerald Lake State Park

My husband caught a huge crayfish, while the kids found lots of little ones, as well as fish, snails, and a newt.

Emerald Lake State Park Dorset Vermont

My daughter also found this cute Eastern Newt.

Emerald Lake State Park Dorset Vermont

Emerald Lake State Park Dorset Vermont

We enjoyed our time at Emerald Lake State Park, and hope to return again next summer to enjoy the lake again.

Check out Emerald Lake State Park on the Vermont State Parks website here: https://vtstateparks.com/emerald.html

By | 2018-10-04T12:30:33+00:00 September 30th, 2018|camping, Travel|23 Comments

1. Evelyn Hernandez October 4, 2018 at 12:24 am - Reply

The park is gorgeous. My son is wanting to go camping and I keep posting it, maybe one day I will take him to Emerald Lake.

2. Monidipa Dutta October 4, 2018 at 3:59 am - Reply

The park is gorgeous. And it can be good for me to spend some time.

3. Terri Steffes October 4, 2018 at 12:37 pm - Reply

What a beautiful place! I would love to see that green water! It looks so clear and inviting. The whole vicinity seems like a great place to spend some time.

4. Pam October 4, 2018 at 1:10 pm - Reply

That park is lovely! And how fun that your daughter caught a newt. The next time I am in Vermont I am putting Emerald Lake on our bucket list. We love state parks.

5. Jenn @ EngineerMommy October 4, 2018 at 2:36 pm - Reply

We went to Burlington VT last summer and had a fabulous time. I love the parks in Vermont. So scenic and beautiful. This place looks stunning!

6. candy October 4, 2018 at 2:41 pm - Reply

We like to camp this time year. So nice and cool and many of the tourist have left. Your state park looks so pretty and fun things to do for everyone.

7. Amber Myers October 4, 2018 at 2:58 pm - Reply

What a pretty area! I wouldn’t mind relaxing here one day. My daughter would be all about catching the critters. We also like to paddle boat.

8. Farrah Less October 4, 2018 at 3:45 pm - Reply

This is so shame I have never been to Vermont but I have seen a lot of good stuff about this area. I love going on a road trip especially on Fall. Up North you get a better view anytime soon compare here in the South we are kinda late here. Loving all your photos I always have fun traveling.

9. Tammy October 4, 2018 at 6:06 pm - Reply

WOHOO and crawdaddy!! Haven’t seen any of those in a while. I love camping and this looks like a nice place to go.

10. Chubskulit Rose October 4, 2018 at 6:13 pm - Reply

Wow that’s a big size crayfish. When my kids were little, we used to go to one of our state park and catch cray fish, it’s fun!

11. Janet October 4, 2018 at 6:42 pm - Reply

Looks like a fun place to go. I live in Florida and have never seen a crayfish, lol!

12. Becca Wilson October 4, 2018 at 8:43 pm - Reply

This looks like it would be a great way to get outside with the family. Everything looks like it is so beautiful and so much to explore.

13. Cindy Gordon October 4, 2018 at 10:15 pm - Reply

That is a really beautiful place! I have an uncle that lives not too far from there!

14. Rachel October 5, 2018 at 2:47 am - Reply

Our family has really enjoyed camping at different state parks. I always think they have low prices and nice facilities.

15. Dennis Littley October 5, 2018 at 5:05 am - Reply

The crayfish and they Eastern Newt look pretty interesting! Seems like everyone had a really good time! The lake looks really peaceful.

16. sara lafountain October 5, 2018 at 1:52 pm - Reply

Emerald Lake State Park looks wonderful! We are planning a visit next summer up north so I am adding this to our list.

17. Jeanine October 5, 2018 at 2:13 pm - Reply

Oh wow, what a fun time. I love state parks. I love seeing about them and hearing of them. I don’t have any close to me so I’d love to visit!

18. Anosa Malanga October 5, 2018 at 2:24 pm - Reply

I love how serene the place is. Who would not love to unwind on this beautiful place? I wish this is so near that I can spend all day here.

19. Kathy October 5, 2018 at 3:41 pm - Reply

Wow, what a beautiful place to be. I love going to state parks like these with my family. My kids always have such a great time.

20. Nancy at Whispered Inspirations October 5, 2018 at 3:45 pm - Reply

What a gorgeous and peaceful place. I need to get away. It’s been a long couple of months.

21. Swathi October 5, 2018 at 5:26 pm - Reply

Looks like great place to hiking and enjoy the nature. I like to visit state park. If I get a chance I will try to Visit Emerald Lake state park.

22. Melissa October 6, 2018 at 8:40 am - Reply

oh this park looks great. And what a nice things you have done. Hope to visit him once.
    Here in the Netherlands we do not have such parks, so another good reason why I have to travel to America. LOL

23. Dr. K. Lee Banks October 6, 2018 at 2:53 pm - Reply

Your climate and weather there must be similar to ours here in Maine, with unusually warm early fall weather. We’re only just starting to have more seasonable cool fall temps. That park is beautiful! Brings back a lot of memories for me of camping trips my family went on when I was growing up – and then trips my kids did with my parents!