WildPlay Thacher Adventure Course, Voorheesville, New York

WildPlay Thacher Voorheesville NY

My kids love going on adventures, and recently discovered adventure courses.  We were excited to hear that a local course had opened up last year at Thacher Park, WildPlay.  It’s not too far of a drive from the Albany, NY area and you can make a day of it by bringing some food and visiting Thacher Park or other local attractions.

We planned a trip to WildPlay on a Saturday, and reservations are recommended (which you can do right online).  We did not make an online reservation, so we got there early in hopes that we would get there first (and I could see no one had booked their first 10am slot).

WildPlay Thacher is located within Thacher Park in Voorheesville, NY.  We found it in Google Maps and it took us right to the specific entrance.  There is actually a sign after the entrance in case you missed it (that tells you to turn around).  We were glad to see that the entrance was labeled well, since despite many trips to Thacher Park, we had never been to the adventure course.

WildPlay Thacher

We arrived at the parking lot and the check-in building.  There is plenty of parking, and even when we left, there were spots available despite there being quite a few more people including a birthday party.

WildPlay Thacher

The employees were very helpful and got us set up quickly.  I recommend getting there early (before your reservation time or before the time you want to start) so that you can have time to get set up, sign waivers, etc.

WildPlay Thacher

The staff had our kids measure to see what courses are most appropriate for them (“Check Your Reach”).  The Classic Course is for kids 4’8″ and taller, because you are able to reach the obstacles better.  It was nice that they actually checked this, as we have done other courses where my younger had to really struggle to get from one obstacle to another because in reality she was just too short.

It was nice that WildPlay Thacher also has restrooms that folks can use before they start the course. Have the kids use the restroom before they put on their harnesses!

Wildplay Thacher

Since my younger daughter is not 4’8″, she did the Kids Adventure Course.

WildPlay Thacher

wildplay Thacher

For my older daughter who is 11, the Classic Adventure course is larger and also takes longer to complete. The kids start with a training on how to use their carabiner and other equipment, and there is always a guide to help you along the course.

WildPlay Thacher

The whole time you are on the course, you are wearing a harness, and a carabiner (metal loop) is hooked on a safety line, and there is always a guide with you (on the ground, but they can come up to the course if needed).

wildplay Thacher

After being trained, it was time to start the real course.  The obstacles start low and gradually get higher and harder.

WildPlay Thacher

There were all kinds of obstacles, from nets to ropes to platforms.

Wildplay Thacher

Amongst all the obstacles were plenty of ziplines too, which the kids said were one of their favorite parts.

WildPlay Thacher Zipline

The Classic Course took about 1.5 hours, and the Kids Adventure Course took a little less, although it depends on the individual doing the course as well.

After the kids did their courses, they did the “What’s to Fear” jump.

WildPlay Thacher

This jump is 40′ off the ground, and they loved it!

The kids had fun at WildPlay, and it was nice to have something different to do.  We enjoyed a cooler morning, but I think it would even be nice on warmer days, since the tree canopy provides a lot of shade.  Plus after you finish at WildPlay, there is plenty to do in the area, like visit Thacher Park, hike Vroman’s Nose, visit Altamont or Indian Ladder Farms, etc.

What to bring:
~ check their website “Rules of Play” – you’ll want to tie back hair, etc
~ wear good, comfy, appropriate shoes and clothing – we also brought a change of clothes in case the kids clothes got wet on the course (since it had just rained)
~ eat beforehand as your course or activities can run several hours
~ we went on a rainy morning and the mosquitos were out, so it can’t hurt to be prepared.  I think the wet weather brought out the bugs, but it can’t hurt to be prepared!

Check out WildPlay Thacher at

By | 2018-10-29T12:13:41+00:00 August 1st, 2018|Family Fun, Travel|30 Comments

1. Dana Rodriguez August 1, 2018 at 2:40 pm - Reply

I am not a fan of heights but this looks like fun for kids and adults that don’t mind. Very beautiful setting also!

2. Jenn August 1, 2018 at 2:59 pm - Reply

This looks like so much fun. We have a similar park not far from us that we really enjoy.

3. Stacie August 1, 2018 at 4:20 pm - Reply

That place is so pretty. Hanging out there with the family looks like a great way to make some amazing memories and get close to nature as well.

4. Heather August 1, 2018 at 5:32 pm - Reply

Oh my gosh! This looks so fun! I want to do a ropes adventure course like this someday with my kids. I did it as a teenager, but I’m 36 now and I’d love to do something like this again as a family bonding thing.

5. Monidipa Dutta August 1, 2018 at 6:15 pm - Reply

I love heights, i love adventure. I will be back to NY next week and will visit. Thanks to you for giving this idea through this post. Lastly I love the pictures..

6. Kim Delatorre August 1, 2018 at 9:46 pm - Reply

I am afraid of heights, but this looks like a lot of fun. I think I could handle this! I know my kids would love it!

7. Rosey August 1, 2018 at 10:52 pm - Reply

I like that they have a kids course. These kinds of things really test your stamina and make you feel accomplished. I love them!

8. Jenn @ EngineerMommy August 1, 2018 at 11:06 pm - Reply

I was near this town on a vacation last week. This looks like such a fun activity. I bet my husband would love to try this one day!

9. Amber Myers August 1, 2018 at 11:08 pm - Reply

Okay, this is awesome! My daughter would LOVE something like this. She enjoys climbing and doing all these things. I’d be too terrified because I’m afraid of heights.

10. valmg @ Mom Knows It All August 2, 2018 at 4:07 am - Reply

That looks like a fun place to spend a day. I have gone ziplining once and enjoyed it, it’s great that there’s an adventure course there too.

11. betzy cuellar August 2, 2018 at 6:18 am - Reply

I’ll definitely want to try out this adventure!

12. Ruth I August 2, 2018 at 10:44 am - Reply

This looks so awesome! The course looks tough but safe. It would be so amazing for kids to experience this!

13. Laegendary August 2, 2018 at 11:04 am - Reply

This place looks amazing! So perfect for kids to enjoy the outdoors!

14. Natalia August 2, 2018 at 1:35 pm - Reply

I’ve never been to such a park before! I think the main reason is my fear of heights. I love looking at people who aren’t afraid to try this kind of adventures. 🙂

15. Jessica Taylor August 2, 2018 at 2:09 pm - Reply

This looks like lots of fun! I am always looking for new things to do with the kids, and I bet they’d really enjoy this!

16. Rachel August 2, 2018 at 5:03 pm - Reply

I woud really love to do something like this. I can’t wait for all of my kids to be old enough so we can try it as a family.

17. Esther Irish August 2, 2018 at 5:27 pm - Reply

Our crew would love this park, so much fun and very unique. Will have to head there when we travel NY!

18. Ann Snook August 2, 2018 at 6:49 pm - Reply

Your kids seem fearless! I did a course like this a few years ago with my friends and still can’t believe I went through with it. I’m terrified of heights! But I agree, the ziplines are awesome 🙂

19. Wendy Polisi August 2, 2018 at 8:41 pm - Reply

That looks like a great way to spend a summer day! My family would love a trip here!

20. Jojo Hua August 3, 2018 at 1:08 am - Reply

This looks like so much fun and similar to something I went to in London UK called “Go Ape”. Except on the day I went, it was thunderstorming! Can you imagine! I could hear the thunder and was so scared that a tree was going to get struck by lightning!

21. Shannon Gurnee August 3, 2018 at 4:32 am - Reply

That looks like an amazing adventure for the family! I bet our kids would love this!

22. Heather August 3, 2018 at 7:15 am - Reply

Now that looks like some serious fun! My littles love being outdoors, and this looks like the perfect place to spend the end of summer.

23. Christina August 3, 2018 at 3:57 pm - Reply

This looks like so much fun! I’d love to do something like this someday.

24. Princess Quinn August 3, 2018 at 8:14 pm - Reply

I really like adventures like this for my kids. It gives them confidence and allow them to explore and challenge themselves.

25. Eze Azubike August 3, 2018 at 8:16 pm - Reply

The setting and scenery is truly vibrant and inviting. The creators really did good with the obstacle courses. It holds out promises of fun for kids.

26. Bianca Dottin August 4, 2018 at 12:31 am - Reply

We’ve never done a ropes course but it looks so fun. I think my daughter would absolutely love to try this. She’s such a thrill seeker.

27. Sayanti August 4, 2018 at 5:59 pm - Reply

We too have these kinds of adventure parks here and I love going there especially on weekends. It is thrilling, fun and relaxing for sure.

28. Nicole M Caudle August 5, 2018 at 11:27 pm - Reply

We need something like that here. I could totally see myself running this type of attraction here in the south. Honestly, I’m surprised we don’t have anything close. This looks like the most amazing place ever!

29. Janet W. August 7, 2018 at 12:00 pm - Reply

This looks so fun and challenging! What a great family activity!

30. Sarah L August 10, 2018 at 12:50 am - Reply

What a fun looking course. I liked seeing the fog in the trees since we don’t get that in Colorado very often.