Hyuck Preserve, Rensselaerville, NY

I heard about the Hyuck Preserve a long time ago, and have wanted to visit for may years now.  We recently had a cool summer day and thought it might be a good time to go on a relatively short hike and explore the preserve and the waterfall.

I set my Google maps to take me to the Hyuck Preserve Research Station, and we had no problem finding it.

Hyuck Preserve, Rensselaerville, NY

There is some decent, but limited parking (maybe enough for 10 cars?).

Hyuck Preserve, Rensselaerville, NY

However, our main goal was to hike to the falls, and the parking at research station is only for trails, which are furthest from the falls.  Since we were looking for direct trails to the falls, we decided not to stay at this part of the preserve.  We checked out the pond at the Research Station before heading out.

HyuckPreserveResearchStationPond

We ended up driving over to the Visitor’s Center.  When we got there, there were maybe 8 spots, which were all taken.  The parking was very tight, and we headed back to the main road.  We couldn’t find anywhere to park in town, so decided we would look for the next closest place to park.

Next, we headed over to the the beach.  There was plenty of parking, and portapotties there as well.

Hyuck Preserve, Rensselaerville, NY

The beach had a swimming area roped off and lifeguards on duty.

Hyuck Preserve, Rensselaerville, NY

You can only swim at the beach with a permit, so the kids were a little disappointed.  Beach passes are $90 in addition to a Hyuck Preserve membership.

Hyuck Preserve, Rensselaerville, NY

We started the trail that takes you to the falls.

Hyuck Preserve, Rensselaerville, NY

The trails are clearly marked and well-maintained.  It was nice to see trail maps posted, as well as paper maps available to take along with you on hikes.  Plus, the Hyuck website invites users to share feedback on any trail issues you may encounter.

Hyuck Preserve, Rensselaerville, NY

First we passed the top of the falls, which is very nice.  There is a scenic overlook and a bridge that passes over the water, and we continued the trail to get to the bottom of the falls.

Hyuck Preserve, Rensselaerville, NY

As we neared the bottom of the falls, the trail has a marker to show the site of an old felt mill.

Hyuck Preserve, Rensselaerville, NY

The falls are beautiful, cascading over 120′.  I really think this is one of the most beautiful local falls that we have been to.  It was very peaceful and worth the hike.

Hyuck Preserve, Rensselaerville, NY

The trail from the beach to the bottom of the falls was probably about 1-1.5 miles, and a relatively mild hike.

I was impressed with the Hyuck Preserve, as the trails were very well-maintained and I don’t think I saw any litter the whole time we were in the preserve.  I liked having a paper map, and that you can give feedback on the trails online if there are any issues.  This would be a nice place to spend the day exploring different trails, as there are about 12 miles of trails within the preserve.

Visit the Hyuck Preserve page here: http://www.huyckpreserve.org/

Their trails info and map are available here: http://www.huyckpreserve.org/trail-map–rules.html

Check out the other hikes we have been on: http://anationofmoms.com/hikes

By | 2018-08-06T02:59:21+00:00 July 23rd, 2018|hiking, Travel|21 Comments

1. Amber Myers July 23, 2018 at 2:50 pm - Reply

This looks like a pretty area to explore. I always like when there are waterfalls. I need to start hiking more with my family.

2. Sarah Bailey July 23, 2018 at 3:42 pm - Reply

Oh wow this looks like such a gorgeous place to go and explore. There really is nothing like getting out in nature and exploring it.

3. Stacie July 23, 2018 at 4:25 pm - Reply

That is so far beyond beautiful! I love to get out and explore nature with the family. It’s a great bonding experience and it makes tons of great memories.

4. Erica{Mama Ash} July 23, 2018 at 6:04 pm - Reply

I love the waterfall pics you took! It looks like a beautiful place to hike and admire. We just got back from a family road trip and the water reminds me of the rapids we saw in Haliburton, ON.

5. Ann F. Snook-Moreau July 23, 2018 at 7:49 pm - Reply

Wow, what a beautiful hike! It’s a shame that it costs so much to go to the beach there . . . it looks so secluded and relaxing.

6. wendy July 23, 2018 at 9:35 pm - Reply

This looks like a really great place to get out for a nice long hike. We’d love the waterfall and swimming area.

7. Heather July 23, 2018 at 11:08 pm - Reply

Wow! So pretty! Those falls are just beautiful! I think it’s important to take trips like these to visit nature and get out from behind screens often. I love waterfalls!

8. Heather July 24, 2018 at 1:47 am - Reply

What a beautiful place. I would love to go somewhere like this in the Fall. I bet it’s beautiful.

9. Catherine Shane July 24, 2018 at 4:15 am - Reply

It seems a very relaxing place. Looks really beautiful spot for family vacay!

10. Bella July 24, 2018 at 2:39 pm - Reply

When I travel my favourite thing is to find places like this. I am definitely not someone that enjoys the busy cities and shopping. Get me outside and I am a happy girl.

11. Rachel July 24, 2018 at 4:28 pm - Reply

It has been really helpful to have trail guides and recommendations when we have made plans for hiking. Thanks for your ideas.

12. rika July 24, 2018 at 9:02 pm - Reply

Oh wow.. they charge a lot of money for access to the beach. This place looks so beautiful, the perfect spot for summer family getaway!

13. Sara Welch July 25, 2018 at 12:24 am - Reply

Upstate NY has some really amazing locations. This spot is nothing short of amazing!

14. Kita Bryant July 25, 2018 at 12:33 am - Reply

What an amazing place! I would love to visit Ny sometime!

15. Geekdad248 July 25, 2018 at 3:15 am - Reply

Can you actually walk up the falls like they do in Jamaica? Seems like the incline isn’t that steep? Anyhow the place looks so relaxing from your pictures. I’d be happy grabbing a book and just hanging out somewhere enjoying the surrounding around me.

• Marysa July 26, 2018 at 1:46 am - Reply

You probably could, but they encourage folks not to do so, because it would probably cause erosion.

16. Nancy at Whispered Inspirations July 25, 2018 at 7:41 pm - Reply

This looks absolutely amazing. OMG, that waterfall too! I could spend a lot of time there! Thanks for the recco!

17. Bianca Dottin July 27, 2018 at 1:32 pm - Reply

I’ve never heard of Hyuck Preserve. I’m not much of a hiker but your photos are beautiful. I think my daughter would love it here.

18. Aduke Schulist July 27, 2018 at 8:08 pm - Reply

What a beautiful place. I like that they have lifeguards for the swimming.

19. Dana Rodriguez July 30, 2018 at 5:18 pm - Reply

This is such a beautiful park. I love the waterfalls!

20. Natalie August 1, 2018 at 6:55 pm - Reply

I would love to go hiking through these trails!!