Falling Waters Preserve, Saugerties, NY

Falling Waters Preserve

On a recent trip towards the Catskills, we decided to stop to explore Saugerties, New York.  Falling Waters Preserve is located along the Hudson River, and makes for a nice, short hike.

We used Google Maps to locate the Falling Waters Preserve, and had no trouble finding the parking lot, which holds probably a dozen cars.

Falling Waters Preserve

There is a nice kiosk at the trailhead, and there were actually trail maps there.  I often find that when we go hiking, there are no maps left, and it was nice to have a map with us even for a short hike.

Falling Waters Preserve Saugerties NY

We started on the white trail, which is close to the Hudson River.

Falling Waters Preserve Saugerties

The trails are well-marked here, and it is easy to follow as the paths are well-maintained and there are plenty of markers.

Falling Waters Preserve Saugerties NY

There are lots of great views, even from the trail.

Falling Waters Preserve Saugerties

At several places along the white trail, we ventured off on little paths that went to the water.

Falling Waters Preserve Saugerties

The kids even waded in a little bit.  The Hudson River looked beautiful, and we had perfect weather.  The green stuff floating on the water?  Invasive plants called Chinese Water Chestnut.

Falling Waters Preserve Saugerties

There are a lot of Chinese Water Chestnuts in the Hudson River, so be careful as you are walking around, as there are dried ones everywhere. You just want to make sure it doesn’t go through something like a flip flop or even a sneaker.  This one actually wasn’t even as sharp as some of the others you can find laying on the ground.

Falling Waters Preserve Saugerties

The views of the Hudson are really nice from the preserve.

Falling Waters Preserve Saugerties

As we continued on the trail, there were benches along the way.

Falling Waters Preserve Saugerties

We reached the waterfall overlook, which has a nice seating area with a pergola.

Falling Waters Preserve Saugerties

In early June, the waterfall was flowing well.  According to the Scenic Hudson website, the waterfall isn’t always flowing, so it will likely dry up later in the year.

Falling Waters Preserve Saugerties

You can either double back on the trail you came in on, or take it as a loop.  We did a loop, returning on a trail that is essentially parallel to the one that runs along the Hudson River.

Falling Waters Preserve Saugerties

There is a nice statue as we looped back, where the preserve backs up to private property.

Falling Waters Preserve Saugerties

We also saw some poison ivy along the trail, so be careful for that along with the Chinese Water Chestnuts.

Falling Waters Preserve Saugerties NY

By taking the Riverside Trail in, and the Upland Trail out, we covered just over 1.5 miles.  The trail is mostly flat, with only slightly rolling terrain, and was an easy hike for all of us.

The parking was sufficient at the trail head, and it was nice not to have to worry about parking.

Falling Waters Preserve Saugerties

Check out the Falling Waters Preserve at: https://www.scenichudson.org/parks/fallingwaters

Find the trail map here:

By | 2018-07-13T00:55:48+00:00 July 8th, 2018|hiking, Travel|31 Comments

1. Mimi July 9, 2018 at 4:27 pm - Reply

Such a beautiful place to visit, it looks amazing

2. Paula @ I'm Busy Being Awesome July 9, 2018 at 4:28 pm - Reply

It looks awesome, the views are incredible

3. Rachel July 10, 2018 at 1:14 am - Reply

What a gorgeous place to hike! I’d love to visit someday!

4. Tif July 10, 2018 at 11:37 am - Reply

This is great! I have never heard of the place and mostly just nyc for New York but this was a good mix!

5. Lisa Favre July 12, 2018 at 6:46 pm - Reply

I have never heard of this place before but definitely looks like a great place for a nature retreat! I think my family would love this place.

6. Stephanie Pass July 13, 2018 at 6:15 am - Reply

What a gorgeous place to explore. My kids would love finding a place like this.

7. Laura Dove July 13, 2018 at 10:50 am - Reply

Oh wow how beautiful! We LOVE exploring places like this, there’s nothing better than getting outdoors with the children, especially with blue skies like that!

8. Esther Irish July 13, 2018 at 1:41 pm - Reply

What a fantastic hike! We love hiking as a family. Keeping this in mind when we are in the area!

9. BONNIE G July 13, 2018 at 1:45 pm - Reply

Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos, I love seeing places I have never been. I love the looks of the chairs and the water chestnuts are pretty neat looking too.

10. Candy July 13, 2018 at 1:54 pm - Reply

Really good to see states preserve place like this. It has a natural beauty all its own. Fun to visit

11. Glenda Cates July 13, 2018 at 2:00 pm - Reply

New York is one place my daughter visited before she passed away and that I would like to visit as it would allow me to walk in places she visited.

12. Heather July 13, 2018 at 2:15 pm - Reply

What a beautiful place. We have a similar spot near our house that we love going to.

13. Amber Myers July 13, 2018 at 2:30 pm - Reply

This would be such a pretty place to hike. I just love the scenery. I could see myself sitting on one of those benches and reading.

14. Catherine Shane July 13, 2018 at 2:30 pm - Reply

Oh Amazingly beautiful place that I want most to see with my family. I am really adventurous person, this is what I want!

15. Gisele July 13, 2018 at 4:00 pm - Reply

This looks like a great place to visit. What a beautiful trail! I love to hike but rarely get the chance to.

16. Trina July 13, 2018 at 6:48 pm - Reply

What a cool place to explore and hike! I miss the crisp air and beautiful trails of the northeast!

17. up run for life July 13, 2018 at 7:36 pm - Reply

This trail looks beautiful. We used to go hiking a bunch when I was younger. There aren’t any trails around here and in the summer it is too hot too.

18. Karen Morse July 14, 2018 at 1:10 am - Reply

It’s place like this that make you appreciate quiet and relaxing time with the family. It’s the perfect summer activity especially since it will the whole family active! It’s so nice to walk around and explore.

19. Tim July 14, 2018 at 2:40 am - Reply

I really enjoy going on bird watching treks with my kids. This looks like a great place to do that. Enjoyed scrolling through the pictures you posted.

20. Vyjay Rao July 14, 2018 at 4:56 am - Reply

This is a lovely trail, doesn’t matter if the water in the falls is less. I guess the walk to the falls is in itself a pleasure. The views of the Hudson are lovely and I am sure it must have been a nice experience in the lap of nature.

21. Shell Feis July 14, 2018 at 5:30 am - Reply

Wow what a beautiful place to explore! I’ve never been anywhere near New York so I definitely had no idea that you could find something like this there!

22. NYC SingleMom July 14, 2018 at 9:37 am - Reply

We are looking for a day trip and this seems like a perfect choice. So beautiful and peaceful for a hike.

23. Nikki July 14, 2018 at 1:41 pm - Reply

The Catskills are absolutely gorgeous. I haven’t really seen them up close, but my aunt lived near the area, so I’ve caught them from a distance on trips to visit her. I’d love to explore them more!

24. Deirdre Smith July 14, 2018 at 7:19 pm - Reply

This really looks like a wonderful place to explore! It would be a great place to go to relax after a busy week at work.

25. Caitlin July 14, 2018 at 9:15 pm - Reply

This place looks so, so beautiful! I love that there are so many different areas all contained in one spot (the woods, the water, etc.)

26. Kita Bryant July 15, 2018 at 12:46 am - Reply

This looks like an amazing place to go hiking. I have a friend who actually lives in the area.

27. Joanna @ Everyday Made Fresh July 16, 2018 at 3:25 am - Reply

My family and I love to visit places like this. It’s such a great way to spend the day with the family!

28. Nancy at Whispered Inspirations July 16, 2018 at 2:49 pm - Reply

Wow, this place looks absolutely beautiful. I am bookmarking this so I can hit up when I visit.

29. Carol Cassara July 16, 2018 at 4:11 pm - Reply

I’ve never been here before so it’s good to know what to expect and what you can do while you’re there! I really like the peaceful surroundings, it’s always a relaxing hike!

30. Shannon Gurnee July 16, 2018 at 6:41 pm - Reply

That looks like a beautiful place to go hiking with your family! Love all the pictures you shared!

31. olga July 19, 2018 at 8:00 pm - Reply

My family and I love nature. This looks like a great place to visit. I would love to go here with my family.