Big Deep and Little Deep Swimming Holes, Woodstock, NY

Big Deep Little Deep Swimming Holes Woodstock NY

Our kids are really into swimming, so in the summertime we like to check out and explore different places to swim.  We were in the Saugerties area, and decided it was a great day to check out some swimming holes.  After quick check online, we found the Big Deep and Little Deep swimming holes nearby in Woodstock, New York.

We had no problem finding the Big Deep using Google Maps, and there is even has a sign out along the road for it.  The parking consists of unpaved roads and parking spots amongst the woods, and we were able to find one of a few remaining spots on a Saturday afternoon.

Big Deep Woodstock

Once we parked, we got ready and headed to the trail that takes you to the Big Deep.  It is pretty obvious where you are supposed to walk even though you can’t see the water from the parking area.

Big Deep Trailhead

It isn’t a far walk at all and is an easy trail that ambles through the woods.  It is just a minute or two before you are at the water.

Big Deep Woodstock

We were there the first weekend in July 2018, and we weren’t impressed when we arrived.  Of the swimming holes we have visited, they usually have pretty, clear, inviting water.  This one unfortunately looked a bit muddy and murky.

Big Deep Water

There wasn’t much to do there as well.  You can wade in or do a little swimming, but nowhere to jump in or really explore.

Big Deep Woodstock

Big Deep Woodstock

Big Deep Water

The kids didn’t want to go in the cloudy water either, even though they are pretty adventurous, so we decided to head out and try somewhere else.

Big Deep Swimming Hole Woodstock

We got ready to leave the Big Deep, and decided to see if Little Deep was any better.

We had no problem finding the Little Deep, and there was a parking lot located off the main road.

The Little Deep swimming hole area is pretty close to the parking area.  You can see the bridge where the road passes over the river from just up the river where people are swimming.

Little Deep Bridge Woodstock NY

We wandered along the stream a little bit to check out the different areas where people were in the water.

Little Deep Bridge Woodstock NY

The Little Deep was much less crowded than the Big Deep.

Little Deep Bridge Woodstock NY

The water was nicer than Big Deep, but still a bit cloudy.

Little Deep Bridge Woodstock NY

There were some spots here where you could wade in up to your waist or so, but we didn’t see anywhere that you could jump in.

Little Deep Bridge Woodstock NY

We decided to skip swimming at Little Deep as well, and tried heading up to Peekamoose Blue Hole, about 40 minuets away.  Unfortunately, we found out that you have to get a permit 24 hours in advance.

See the DEC article here about the Peekamoose Blue Hole permit: https://www.dec.ny.gov/press/114042.html

I also read that the Big Deep and Little Deep will also be requiring permits, but as of early July 2018, we were able to park and use the swimming hole without a permit. (Read that article here in the Hudson Valley One).

Check out the other places we have visited in the area:
Big Deep & Little Deep Swimming Holes, Woodstock, NY
Falling Waters Preserve, Saugerties, NY
Opus 40 Sculpture Park, Saugerties, NY

Overlook Mountain, Catskills, NY
Saugerties Lighthouse, NY

By | 2018-09-18T15:22:28+00:00 July 17th, 2018|hiking, Travel|22 Comments

1. Amber Myers July 17, 2018 at 3:18 pm - Reply

What a pretty area! I would love to relax near a swimming hole during the summer. I know Texas has several of them. I just need to find a good spot!

2. robin rue July 17, 2018 at 3:43 pm - Reply

We love little swimming holes like this. There aren’t too many near where I live, but there are a ton by our condo up in New Hampshire that we love going to.

3. GiGi Eats July 17, 2018 at 4:28 pm - Reply

This totally reminds me of when I was a kiddo and we used to go to this swimming holes in Wy (where I am from). I loved making DIRT burgers LOL!

4. candy July 17, 2018 at 4:35 pm - Reply

These watering holes reminds me of what we have around here where we live. Watering holes are so much fun for the whole family. Great place to visit.

5. Melissa Chapman July 17, 2018 at 5:08 pm - Reply

I live relatively close to Woodstock so I would love to go up there and explore the swimming holes. My son has a lot of free time and I will try and go upstate and take him hiking and swimming near Woodstock.

6. Terri Steffes July 17, 2018 at 8:57 pm - Reply

I can understand your disappointment. We drove 4 hours to see a natural swimming hole that was disappointing when we got there. I’m sorry for that, the rocks and trees were lovely!

7. valmg @ Mom Knows It All July 17, 2018 at 11:45 pm - Reply

We don’t have swimming holes like that in our area. I’m sure the kids were a little disappointed they couldn’t really enjoy the water the way they wanted but that is part of the excitement of adventure.

8. Natalie July 18, 2018 at 12:10 am - Reply

Oh that is such a bummer that the water in the swimming holes was so cloudy. Would be interested in knowing if there are some close to my city.

9. Kelly Reci July 18, 2018 at 1:12 am - Reply

Wow, that is really cloudy water. I don’t blame your kids not wanting to swim in that. The trail looked fun though.

10. Heather July 18, 2018 at 2:48 am - Reply

I’ve never been to a swimming hole. It looks like so much fun. I think I’m too old to get past the fear of what’s inside the water.

11. Jeanette July 18, 2018 at 4:50 am - Reply

Looks like a beautiful place to swim and explore. I’m like your kids and would probably stay clear of swimming but I would love to dip my feet in that cool water for sure. I also love all those trees. What a great way to beat the summer heat. Stunning!

12. Shell Feis July 18, 2018 at 5:35 am - Reply

Oh that sounds like so much fun! We don’t have places like that around here {in the Vegas desert} but I’d love to visit somewhere like that!

13. Ricci July 18, 2018 at 7:43 am - Reply

These photos look like you are in the south!! LOL!! I would love to travel to Woodstock and swim in a swimming hole! LOL!

14. Maddy July 18, 2018 at 1:11 pm - Reply

I live in Manhattan and my husband and I have been contemplating a trip up to Woodstock for a while now. I think you have solidified it for us! Booking asap!

15. Farrah Less July 18, 2018 at 4:13 pm - Reply

That was a very serene place to be, I used to lived in Buffalo,NY . Unfortunately I haven’t heard this place while I was there.

16. Dana Rodriguez July 18, 2018 at 4:17 pm - Reply

There are spots like that here in the South. I agree…not really somewhere you would want to swim but it is a peaceful place to hangout at and explore. Nice photos!

17. Jeanine July 18, 2018 at 9:14 pm - Reply

I love spots like these. I wish I could find some in my area! I will have to check these out next time we are in NY and near Woodstock, how fun!

18. Gemille Sleweon July 19, 2018 at 2:07 pm - Reply

I love being outdoors. This looks like such a relaxing place to sit and read a good book.

19. Louisa July 20, 2018 at 2:28 am - Reply

This looks like the ultimate summer activity. It is cooling down quickly in Alaska so I’m a little jealous ha! Would love to visit Woodstock, NY in the near future.

20. Janet W. August 8, 2018 at 1:53 pm - Reply

What a beautiful and relaxing spot outdoors! Nature at its best!

21. Starla August 27, 2018 at 8:28 pm - Reply

What a beautiful area. This seems so peaceful and calming! I haven’t been to a swimming hole in so many years!

22. Debbie P August 28, 2018 at 12:27 am - Reply

This looks and sounds awesome. I have never been to a swimming hole.