Haulback Challenge Course at Okemo Mountain Resort’s Adventure Zone, Vermont

We have visited the Jackson Gore Inn at Okemo Mountain Resort several times, and we like to check out different activities each time.  This time we decided to splurge on something from their Adventure Zone.  The kids had been begging to go on the aerial challenge course, so when we had some free time, we headed over to reserve a spot.

There are a lot of things to choose from at the Adventure Zone, from a climbing wall to an alpine mountain coaster.  The Haulback Challenge Course costs $35 per child, which includes three separate loops (approximately 45 minutes long).  My kids are ages 8 and 11 (you have to be a minimum of 6 years old).

We paid for our tickets at the Trading Post, which is in the woods by the Adventure Course, and were assigned a 1:30pm start time.  It had just started raining a little bit, and the course goes on rain or shine (unless there is thunder).

Trading Post

After paying, we headed back towards the course.  The instructors helped the kids got their gear on, which included harnesses and helmets.

Okemo Adventure Zone

My husband and I were able to walk over to the course as well to watch the kids up close, as long as we wore helmets.

Haulback Challenge Course

The course fee includes three challenges that start at a main tower.  The first level is lowest and easiest, and you work your way to the top of the tower and the third, hardest level.

Haulback Adventure Course Okemo

There are a variety of different obstacles along the course, from tunnels to a horizontal ladder.

Haulback Challenge

Haulback Challenge

While you complete the course on your own, the staff there was wonderful in helping make sure everything went smoothly.

Haulback Challenge

My 8 year old thought the rope loops were the hardest.  Since she’s short, it was hard for her to reach the ropes with her feet, and had to figure out to swing to the next rope.

Haulback Challenge

The kids were very happy that the last segment of each course is a zipline back to the tower.  We just did some ziplining in Mexico, and we have been looking for another opportunity since.

Haulback Challenge

Overall, the kids had a total blast doing the Haulback Challenge!  They thought it was a lot of fun and loved both the challenges and the ziplines.  While it wasn’t cheap, it was fun and a productive way for the kids to spend some time.  The instructors were very attentive and were happy to help with tips to get through the course, and also made sure that everyone on the course were doing the obstacles correctly (for example, telling people not to go more than one per obstacle).

We stay at Jackson Gore Inn regularly (see my review here), and it is a nice place to stay while you explore Vermont.  The Adventure Zone is a convenient way to have fun alongside other things like their pools.

Visit Okemo’s Adventure Zone at https://www.okemo.com/activities/adventure-zone/

By | 2018-08-06T03:00:22+00:00 May 29th, 2018|Family Fun, Travel|16 Comments

1. shelly peterson May 29, 2018 at 9:31 pm - Reply

This looks like so much fun. My son would love this. Great way to have fun and get some exercise.

2. Ashley May 29, 2018 at 10:15 pm - Reply

This looks like so much fun! I would love to spend the day there with my family.

3. Jeanette May 29, 2018 at 10:20 pm - Reply

Now that looks like a lot of fun! I think my entire family would LOVE this! I wish this was closer to where I live!

4. GiGi Eats May 29, 2018 at 11:56 pm - Reply

OMG this looks like such a good time for kiddos!!! Let their imaginations run wild!!

5. Trina May 30, 2018 at 1:46 am - Reply

This looks amazing and makes me miss New England! I used to hike a lot up in NH and now that we live in FL it’s hot and flat and I’ve lost interest. I think we need a trip home, and this looks like an amazing place to bring the family.

6. Heather May 30, 2018 at 12:24 pm - Reply

My oldest daughter is just nine years old and is on a competitive rock climbing team. She would LOVE this! What a fun adventure for a family vacation.

7. Esther Irish May 30, 2018 at 1:26 pm - Reply

This looks like a fantastic place to stay and my crew would scream to get to do the ropes course. Fun!

8. Kathy May 30, 2018 at 1:53 pm - Reply

This looks like so much fun. This is something my family would really enjoy. We’ve been wanting to try this for some time now.

9. Alison Rost May 30, 2018 at 4:02 pm - Reply

It sure sounds like a lot of fun for the kids! And the whole family. It’s a fun activity to do this summer especially since it’s going to keep everyone active. I’m sure we’re going to enjoy this experience!

10. Rachel May 30, 2018 at 4:57 pm - Reply

I really want to make a trip to Vermont. this seems like something that my whole family would enjoy trying.

11. Dana Rodriguez May 30, 2018 at 5:32 pm - Reply

So beautiful there. This sounds like a great summer activity for kids!

12. mj May 31, 2018 at 12:57 am - Reply

Oh! That looks like so much fun! I wish I could get my family to do something adventurous. They tend to want to keep their feet on the ground.

13. Sara Welch May 31, 2018 at 5:10 am - Reply

That looks like it would be so much fun! My kids love adventures like this.

14. Maryann D. May 31, 2018 at 9:23 am - Reply

Wow, I don’t know if I could do this Haulback Challenge. I do have a few nieces and nephews who would love this!

15. Nichole Arnold May 31, 2018 at 5:47 pm - Reply

This looks like so much fun! Most places say ages 5 or 6 to start, so a bit off before I can take my son but he is TOTALLY in to stuff like this!

16. Heather May 31, 2018 at 10:49 pm - Reply

As many times as we’ve been to Vermont, we never knew about this place. My kids would love it.