Hapgood Pond Recreation Area, Peru, Vermont

Hapgood Pond, Peru Vermont

We were recently looking for some trails to check out in the Ludlow area of Vermont, and while it isn’t particularly close, we decided to check out Hapgood Pond, which someone had recommended to us a while back.  This is part of the Green Mountain National Forest, with camping, swimming, and a trail.  Being Memorial Day, the weather was a bit chilly, and our goal was to check out the campground for future camping trips and to hike the trail.

I had no problem finding Hapgood Pond using Google Maps, and the recreation area is clearly marked.  It is located in Peru, Vermont, somewhat between Londonderry and Manchester.

Hapgood Pond Peru Vermont

As you enter the park, you see Hapgood Pond, which has a beach and swimming area.

Hapgood Pond, Peru, Vermont

There is information at the parking lot near the entrance of Hapgood Pond, including a day-use fee.  This recreation area is not like other State Park campgrounds we have been to – it is very quiet and not regularly staffed.

Hapgood Pond, Peru, Vermont

The trailhead is easy to find, and we saw it right when we entered Hapgood Pond Recreation Area from the main road.

Hapgood Pond Trailhead Peru Vermont

The trail is very easy to follow, and there are blue markers to keep hikers on track.

Hapgood Pond Peru Vermont

My girls were excited to find a red eft right away, careful to place it back where they found it.

Hapgood Pond Peru Vermont

We also found some interesting plants along the way.

Hapgood Pond Peru Vermont

This Recreation Area trail is very well maintained.  Despite a lot of recent rain, the trail was in good shape and there were some nice bridges for crossing water.

Hapgood Pond Peru Vermont

The trail rambles for about a mile, without a lot of elevation changes, so it was a very relaxing hike, especially with kids.

Hapgood Pond Peru Vermont

I enjoyed reading this thoughtful sign along the way.

Hapgood Pond Peru Vermont

Overall, the Hapgood Pond trail was a nice little hike for us.  At around a mile, and without much change in elevation, it was a relaxing walk and even the kids enjoyed it without the hike going too long.

Hapgood Pond Peru Vermont

There are bathrooms and picnic tables around the campground as well.

You can check out Hapgood Pond online on the Forest Service website here.

By | 2018-07-10T14:24:03+00:00 May 31st, 2018|hiking, Travel|19 Comments

1. Dana Rodriguez May 31, 2018 at 5:01 pm - Reply

This looks like a beautiful park to visit. Gorgeous photos!

2. Stacie May 31, 2018 at 10:05 pm - Reply

That is such a gorgeous place! I’d love to spend a few days there with the family.

3. Bill Sweeney May 31, 2018 at 10:50 pm - Reply

This is a wonderful looking place! IT would be a perfect place to take the family.

4. Heather June 1, 2018 at 2:10 am - Reply

As many times as I’ve been to Vermont, I’ve never heard of this place. I would love to go there next time we are in the area.

5. mj June 1, 2018 at 2:13 am - Reply

What an amazing place to share with the family! It looks so relaxing and peaceful while fun at the same time.

6. Heather June 1, 2018 at 2:50 am - Reply

Gosh, I really like that sign. It is amazing to realize the cycle of water. I mean I think its simply a miracle we take for granted time and time again.

7. GiGi Eats June 1, 2018 at 3:13 am - Reply

Despite a dreary day, it still looks like such a relaxing jaunt in nature! 🙂

8. valmg @ Mom Knows It All June 1, 2018 at 3:14 am - Reply

This area sounds like an interesting place to explore. I lived in NH for 2 years and always hoped to get to VT but never made it there.

9. Emily June 1, 2018 at 3:28 am - Reply

This looks like a beautiful place t go hiking! My kids love to go on nature walks like this, it is always fun to go exploring. All of those trees are stunning and so green, beautiful!

10. ellen beck June 1, 2018 at 3:34 am - Reply

This is beautiful. I like how serene it looks and you can stay by the day. It looks nice and quiet. I havent been to this area it sure is pretty.

11. Maryann D. June 1, 2018 at 9:17 am - Reply

The photo with the red eft is amazing. All of these scenes are wonderful and peaceful to view.

12. Carol Cassara June 1, 2018 at 9:30 am - Reply

I love how peaceful the place is, perfect for a quiet afternoon while enjoying nature and everything that it has to offer. Love that it has a good parking space as well.

13. Rose Ann Sales June 1, 2018 at 10:07 am - Reply

Such a great post and looks like Vermont is a nice place to visit for a great experience and adventure.

14. Vickylynn Garofalo June 1, 2018 at 12:11 pm - Reply

Hapgood State Park has been a wonderful state park for years. My family has hiked the lovely trails and enjoyed fishing and swimming at the lake. The maintenance has been superb over those years. The picknic area is perfect for family BBQ and they have clean facilities and a shower area. This is a perfect camping area for the entire family young and old!

15. Bradley C Finnearty June 1, 2018 at 4:58 pm - Reply

I have never been to Vermont. It looks like such a beautiful place to visit. Thanks for the tip.

16. Melanie Walsh June 1, 2018 at 8:02 pm - Reply

What a wonderful destination to explore! My kids would love checking out the pond, creatures, and plants. Vermont is full of adventure!

17. Nancy at Whispered Inspirations June 2, 2018 at 2:06 am - Reply

What a beautiful place in Vermont. I’ll have to visit, we love to go hiking. Thanks for the recco!

18. Catalina June 2, 2018 at 7:43 pm - Reply

This place seems to be so peaceful. Those animals are so cute! It is so beautiful to descover new places!

19. shelly peterson June 3, 2018 at 3:37 am - Reply

This is such a beautiful place to visit. It would be great to go hiking here.