Fun With Trader Joe’s Ugly Sweater Cookie Kit!

Trader Joes Ugly Sweater Cookie Kit

I am admittedly not the best when it comes to baking.  I don’t have a lot of time to dedicate to things like baking and decorating sugar cookies and gingerbread houses.  It was a treat when we received some Trader Joe’s Ugly Sweater Cookie Kits as a gift!

The kit contains everything you need.  Really!  There have been so many times we have gotten a kit only to find out we need other supplies, but with this you are all set.  Now, that being said, I recommend finding some tools for spreading the icing.

Trader Joe's Ugly Sweater Cookie Kit

The first step was to knead the bags of icing (per the directions on the kit).  I think in part this mixes up the icing evenly, but it also helps to warm it up.  We didn’t do both kits on the same day, so when we started working on the second kit, I warmed up the icing bags a little bit (placing them in hot water), which I think was an improvement over the first kit (which we didn’t knead for very long or warm up).  For one, the icing comes out easier, and it spreads much better.  The first time around, the icing didn’t even want to stick to the cookies.

Trader Joe's Ugly Sweater Cookie Kit

I recommend something to help spread the icing on the cookies, like a knife or similar tool.  I also had toothpicks ready if the kids wanted to make designs in the icing.

It would be great if the kit included a small plastic spreading tool, but a plastic knife worked fine as well as other small knives (like a cheese spreader).

Trader Joe's Ugly Sweater Cookie Kit

This was the first batch of cookies we made, and I think my daughter did a good job on her ugly sweater designs.  The photos just don’t capture just how much the reddish icing looks like ketchup!  (And the green paired up with it reminds me of relish).  Yum, so appetizing!

Trader Joe's Ugly Sweater Cookie Kit

My youngest made another batch, using different designs.  Even after both kids had decorated all their cookies, we had quite a few sprinkles left, and it’s nice that we had an ample amount to work with.

Trader Joe's Ugly Sweater Cookie Kit

I joined in the fun and made some cookies too!  While mine don’t exactly look like the cookies on the box (!), I did have some fun making designs on the cookies.

Trader Joe's Ugly Sweater Cookie Kit

This is definitely a cute kit for the holidays, and while I think it would be quite a feat to replicate designs like those on the box, we had a lot of fun making our cookies.  The kit is so convenient too, and my kids loved how quickly they could get to work on their cookies and coming up with wacky designs.

Our kit was peanut safe, which is a bonus, as my daughter isn’t always able to partake in holiday treats.  (Always read the labeling!)

Trader Joe's Ugly Sweater Cookie Kit

By | 2017-12-09T23:39:36+00:00 December 9th, 2017|Christmas, Food|22 Comments

1. Tomi C December 10, 2017 at 10:41 am - Reply

Too cute! I totally need these for my Ugly Sweater Christmas party. I’ll have to check the shelves at Trader Joe’s and get a couple of these.

2. Maureen @Scoops of Joy December 10, 2017 at 11:24 am - Reply

Oooh how I miss Trader Joes! I wish I was still back in the States. This looks like so much fun and cute too. Plus I’ll be a pro at this since I suck at baking let alone decorating with icing hahaha.

3. Tim B December 10, 2017 at 12:39 pm - Reply

What a fun way to get the kids involved with making some Christmas cookies! Ugly sweaters are all the holiday rage this year and this is so much better than actually wearing one! I love Christmas cookies! yum yum and there is a Trader Joes just down the street from us!

4. Janet December 10, 2017 at 1:13 pm - Reply

OMG…I go to Trader Joes weekly and didn’t see this, so thank you!

5. Heather December 10, 2017 at 1:23 pm - Reply

Don’t you love Trader Joe’s. If you want to find new and different things they are a great resource. I love the sweater cookies!

6. Kenneth Agudo December 10, 2017 at 2:10 pm - Reply

Oh this customizable cookie is fun to play and bake especially if you have kids. The creativity is being activated by their brains and will help hem perform well.

7. Bill Sweeney December 10, 2017 at 2:21 pm - Reply

What a fun and delicious cookie idea! A great cookie to make with the kids!

8. Vera Sweeney December 10, 2017 at 3:08 pm - Reply

We love making cookies together as a family. We’ll have to add these to our list to make this year!

9. Jeanette December 10, 2017 at 9:10 pm - Reply

Haha I love this idea! What a fun and creative way to keep the tradition of decorating cookies but to do it in a unique way! Love it! I might actually want to decorate more cookies this year then the kids do!

10. Joely Smith December 10, 2017 at 9:19 pm - Reply

This is so much fun! I am horrible at baking so this is right up my alley because I do love cookies and the decorating part.

11. Jenn @ EngineerMommy December 10, 2017 at 11:57 pm - Reply

This is so much fun! My kids would love to do a cookie decorating project like this. I gotta check out our local Trader JOe’s for this!

12. Karissa @WithOurBest December 11, 2017 at 4:37 am - Reply

Ok that looks way too fun! I need to get this for my family. We would have a blast!

13. debra p December 11, 2017 at 9:38 am - Reply

I shop at TJ’s but haven’t seen these yet. What a creative and cute idea. I love that you can do your own thing as you decorate them.

14. David Elliott December 11, 2017 at 9:52 am - Reply

This is just too cute a project. Although curious to thought up who thought doing ugly sweaters in cookie format would be a good thing. It does work though. I wll have to check this out.

15. NYC Single Mom December 11, 2017 at 10:54 am - Reply

Thanks for the review. We are in need of a project for my daughter for the holidays. I love that the kit comes with already baked cookies. Makes my life so much easier. And I appreciate your tips so when do ours, I will be prepared!

16. Mary Edwards December 11, 2017 at 8:38 pm - Reply

Haha! I know that my family would have an amazing time with this kit. We love decorating cookies – so I know this would be fun too

17. Mama to 6 Blessings December 12, 2017 at 2:18 am - Reply

Love Trader Joe’s! These cookies are so cute, love them! My girls would love to decorate these, what fun.

18. valmg @ Mom Knows It All December 12, 2017 at 4:10 am - Reply

What a neat cookie making kit that is! I love that you can decorate them any way you like, ugly or not.

19. Diana Ajih December 12, 2017 at 6:42 pm - Reply

I love the idea of ugly sweater christmas cookies! Sounds like a fun cooking making kit the whole family can enjoy. You can even take it one step further and have an ugly sweater cooking making contest!

20. Jennifer December 13, 2017 at 2:32 am - Reply

How cute! An ugly sweater cookie kit is such a fun idea. Would be great as a stocking stuffer too!

21. Maryann D. December 18, 2017 at 10:37 am - Reply

I just saw this at Trader Joe’s. It is adorable and I should have bought it. I love the holiday products in that store.

22. Amber Ludwig December 20, 2017 at 11:49 pm - Reply

I think it’s fabulous because you don’t have to bake them!! I also love that they are peanut free!! So something that could be an activity for all!! Super fun!!