Rice Krispies Thanksgiving Pie

Rice Krispies Thanksgiving Pie

My kids aren’t always a fan of pie, so while the adults tend to be excited about pie after Thanksgiving dinner, the kids aren’t as enthusiastic. Last year, we decided to get creative and make a ‘faux’ Thanksgiving pumpkin pie!

The ingredients for traditional Rice Krispies treats are:

• 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 package (10 oz., about 40) JET-PUFFED Marshmallows OR 4 cups JET-PUFFED Miniature Marshmallows
  • 6 cups Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies® cereal

(You can find the full recipe and instructions here).

Start by greasing a pie pan and making a small portion of Rice Krispies – enough to form the “crust”.  You could make about 1/3 the recipe or even 1/2, forming a crust on the bottom of the pan as well.

Rice Crispie Pie Crust

Begin making another batch, which will form the “pumpkin” part of the pie.

For an orange “pumpkin pie” color, I used a natural food dye.  We try to stay away from regular food dyes, and this one is entirely plant based.

Color Garden food dye

Mix the dye into the butter/marshmallow ingredients until you reach the desired color.

Rice Crispie Treat

Mix in the Rice Krispies, and then place in your pan.  We pressed the mix into the pie pan using a silicone baking mat with a plate over it to make sure that it was perfectly flat and pressed into the pan.

Rice Crispie

The pie came out so cute, and the kids all loved it!  You can cut it in pie-like slices and even put a dash of whipped cream on top, just like you would do with regular pie.

I found our natural food colors on Amazon (affiliate links):

By | 2017-12-18T20:33:58+00:00 November 11th, 2017|Dessert, Food, Holidays, Thanksgiving|12 Comments

1. Maryann D. November 11, 2017 at 12:58 pm - Reply

Rice Krispies Thanksgiving Pie is such a fun and super idea. I am sure any child would have a good time making this!

2. Julie Wood November 11, 2017 at 2:39 pm - Reply

This is such a wonderful Idea to do with the kids and it looks wonderful! I would have never thought about doing this and I need to make this with the kids. They would have a blast!

3. shelly peterson November 11, 2017 at 7:05 pm - Reply

We love Rice Krispy treats and this is such a cute idea! I might just have to make this.

4. Elena November 12, 2017 at 3:07 pm - Reply

Looks yummy. I love this idea

5. Rosie November 12, 2017 at 4:23 pm - Reply

What an easy and tasty idea. I love the natural food coloring, and the color comes out looking like real pumpkin!

6. Amber Ludwig November 12, 2017 at 7:09 pm - Reply

This is adorable!! We love pumpkin though so maybe Id use some pumpkin puree mixed in with the middle part?!

7. Allison Swain November 12, 2017 at 11:18 pm - Reply

What a cute idea! I never would have thought to make something like this. Thanks for sharing!

8. Rebecca Swenor November 14, 2017 at 3:01 am - Reply

This recipe for the Rice Krispies Thanksgiving pie is an awesome idea. I love the idea of this pie treat for the kids but I think the adults are going to love it too. Thanks for sharing the idea and the recipe.

9. Dana Rodriguez November 14, 2017 at 10:23 pm - Reply

That is a really cute idea! I don’y like pumpkin abut I love Rice Krispie treats!

10. GiGi Eats November 15, 2017 at 4:57 am - Reply

OMG! WHOA! I would have jumped out of a plane for this years ago! ha! Darn it. I loveddddddddd rice krispy treats and PUMPKIN PIE!

11. Janet W. November 19, 2017 at 1:30 pm - Reply

What a delicious idea!! My family loves to eat rice krispy treats and would really enjoy this!

12. Amy D January 20, 2018 at 2:36 pm - Reply

This is so perfect for my daughters as a Thanksgiving dessert, since they won’t eat traditional pumpkin pie. I also only use that Color Garden food coloring, since it is natural. Awesome stuff!