Jamaica State Park, Vermont

Jamaica State Park

We have camped at different State Parks in Vermont, and decided to try out Jamaica State Park, which we had been to about four years ago when the kids were toddlers.  We were hoping to spend a lot of time checking out swimming holes within the park, but the weather wasn’t particularly cooperative.  However it was still a relaxing and enjoyable trip.

There are 41 tent/RV sites and 18 lean-to sites to choose from, and we booked two nights in the Fir lean-to.  I highly recommend a lean-to if you can get one because it is a great way to have a backup in case it rains.  You generally have to book far in advance and we never know what the weather is going to be like by the time we go camping.

Jamaica State Park

There are a two bathrooms within the park, which include showers (bring quarters).

Jamaica State Park

You can check out the West River from the campground, by walking right down to the water.  The weather was very chilly, so the kids swam across the river, explored a little, and swim back before it was too cold to swim any more.

Jamaica State Park

You can take a hiking trail to get to Hamilton Falls, but we only went about a third of the way.  We made it up to the “Dumplings”, which are huge rocks scattered in the river.

Jamaica State Park

There is also a very short (but very cute!) children’s nature trail within the park.  This would be great for toddlers to be able to explore without going far.

Jamaica State Park

There is a Nature Center you can visit, attend programs, and also get the information to earn a Junior Ranger badge.  It is nice to have some activities at the park especially for little kids.

Jamaica State Park

There is also a playground, which is a great way to keep kids busy and not bored.

Overall we had a nice time at the park.  We would like to return when it is warm enough to swim there!
Visit Vermont State Parks at https://vtstateparks.com/

Check out my other Vermont State Park posts:

Coolidge State Park
Quechee State Park / Quechee Gorge

By | 2017-09-13T22:24:52+00:00 September 5th, 2017|camping, hiking, Travel|17 Comments

1. Rosie September 5, 2017 at 3:49 pm - Reply

Another gem you have found. I would love to camp out here, it is so nice! I guess I would make sure to go before it could be too cold to swim much, as that is half the fun! But the hiking and exploring look great, too!

2. Marcie W. September 22, 2017 at 8:43 pm - Reply

So much gorgeous greenery! Jamaica State Park definitely looks like the perfect place to disconnect and become one with nature.

3. Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle September 22, 2017 at 9:14 pm - Reply

I love state parks like this! We have one that’s very similar near where we live, and we go every summer. I’d love to take the family for a visit sometime!

4. Vera Sweeney September 22, 2017 at 9:19 pm - Reply

I’d love to take the family there for the fall! Vermont is one of my favorite states. There’s something about the area that makes the most wonderfully colored fall leaves.

5. Joanna @ Everyday Made Fresh September 22, 2017 at 10:51 pm - Reply

Wow, what a beautiful place! Our family has never been camping, because we live in Florida, and it’s hot! However, I’d love to go to a park like this one day.

6. Sapphire Kharyzma September 23, 2017 at 1:42 am - Reply

This park sounds like such an amazing adventure! You had me at two bathrooms, each with showers lol. I think I will make a weekend venture trip out there with my girls and my boy lol!

7. Adaleta September 23, 2017 at 7:08 am - Reply

Wow what a beautiful place to visit, I will have to go there one day!

8. sara September 23, 2017 at 12:08 pm - Reply

I have never been to Jamaica Vermont but it looks so beautiful and relaxing. Thanks for sharing this lovely spot, adding it to my places to visit next summer.

9. Lindsay Bozek September 23, 2017 at 1:48 pm - Reply

This looks like a really great place to do some exploring outdoors! I love that they have a nature trail just for kids too.

10. Nancy L September 23, 2017 at 5:44 pm - Reply

This looks like a great park to get away from all the hustle and bustle. I like that they have a nature trail for kids and that they can earn a badge. It reminds me of the good old girl scout days when we earned badges. 🙂

11. Jilly Spellman September 24, 2017 at 4:48 am - Reply

This State Park sounds awesome. I would totally love to visit someday. I am glad that you had fun.

12. Lynndee September 24, 2017 at 6:48 pm - Reply

That state park is beautiful! I hope we get to visit Vermont someday. I think it would be really nice to take on a road trip there especially in the fall.

13. Angela Milnes September 24, 2017 at 11:20 pm - Reply

This sounds great. I wish I could do more of these kinds of adventures with my daughter (if only my health was better). Thanks for sharing. I’d love to go on a nature trail especially in fall.

14. Gingermommy September 25, 2017 at 12:25 am - Reply

Aww man this sounds like an amazing place to visit. I love nature trails like this!

15. Dogvills September 25, 2017 at 12:43 am - Reply

Wow. There are so many activities offered in the Jamaica State Park. It is campgrounds and more! I love the family movie nights and the nature walk!

16. ricci September 25, 2017 at 1:09 am - Reply

This sounds like an awesome state park!! I’m glad you and your girl could go visit and have such a great time!!

17. The Cubicle Chick September 28, 2017 at 12:58 am - Reply

This looks lime a great trip. I didn’t know there was a Jamaica, VT. Definitely learned something new today.