The role of toys in child development cannot be underestimated. Toys are important for physical, sensory, social development, creative and intellectual development. They also help in boosting coordination, which is an important aspect of your child’s growth. If you are a new parent, choosing the right toy for your 9-month old baby is definitely overwhelming.
There are so many toy types to choose from and if you are not careful, you might end up buying the wrong one. If you are in the market looking for a toy for your baby, it is important to get more insight before buying one. Below are some of the important considerations when shopping for these toys:
- Age appropriate toys: Look for a toy that is suitable for your baby’s age. At 9 months, the toys you can choose from include dolls, unit blocks, dress-ups, and legos among others. Buying the wrong choice of toy can be harmful to the kid and will also not have the required effect.
- Safety: Your child is a bundle of joy and you should always make conscious decisions that will not harm them. While toys are supposed to promote creativity and aid in development, they have also been known to cause injuries. A report by the National SAFE KIDS Campaign and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission shows over 217,000 children are treated in the emergency room for toy-related accidents. The size, material and safety standards of the toy you are shopping must be considered to protect your child.
- Buy what they love: Kids don’t hide emotions and if they have shown a liking for a particular type of behavior, go for a toy that complements such behavior.
- Practical toys: Don’t just buy a toy because it is popular, but instead go for something that helps your child learn a particular skill.
Types of toys
With so many toys in the market, finding the right one can be tricky. However, you can use this complete guide on toys for 9-month-old babies:
- Block and stacking toys: As your kid grows, they will need something more sophisticated. Children get bored quite easily and if they realize a certain toy is no longer fun, you can bet they will damage it. Block and staking toys offer a better challenge for kids.
- Technology toys: From toy electronics, toy phones to toy computers, you can never go wrong with toys that help your child understand the basics of modern technology.
- Push toys: A push toy helps your baby become more confident in walking.
- Sorting and shape toys: These are perfect to internalize shapes especially if they already had other such toys. You can go for more sophisticated versions to maintain their interest.
Best Toys for 9-Month-Old Babies
There are so many toys to choose from but some stand out in every review. Among the crème de la crème is VTech 80-077001, which is a push toy, Lamaze LC27024 and the VTech 80-073800, a technology toy. Whatever your child loves, these tips will help you choose the right toy that will help boost their development.