Our Awesome Medieval Times Dinner & Tournament Experience!

Medieval Times

I received Medieval Times tickets in exchange for my honest review.

I have wanted to go to Medieval Times for many years, since my husband went a trip to Chicago and had a lot of fun over 10 years ago.  So now that our kids and 7 and 9, and we are a few hours from the Lyndhurst, NJ location, we decided they were a perfect age to go!

The trip was an easy drive, and soon enough, we could see the castle in the distance.  There are shows on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, so there are plenty to choose from.  The castle was pretty busy for the 4:30 Sunday showing, but we found parking without an issue, and everything was efficient.  The doors open 75 minutes before the show, so you can get there early for pictures, merchandise, drinks, and more, without having to rush or worry that you will get there in time.

We got to the Medieval Times Lyndhurst, NJ location about an hour before our show, and as we checked in, decided to add on $2 tickets to visit the “Museum of Torture” to pass the time.  This is a “Dungeon” hallway of barbaric examples of medieval torture – yikes!  My girls are 7 and 9 and weren’t too scared.  It is interesting for adults too, and I found the items both intriguing and disturbing!  While there would be plenty more to see that night, the girls couldn’t wait to tell their friends the horrors of medieval torture!  (This is my youngest trying to look terrified!)

Medieval Times

After checking out the medieval torture devices, we headed over to look at the Medieval Times merchandise.  We got both girls a banner to cheer on our team, as well as some other cool goodies like a light-up cup and a cute plush dragon.

Then it was time to head into the arena area to get ready for dinner!  We had no problem finding our seats, where we each had a towel with our team colors and flags to wave.

Soon, our server arrived to take our meal and drink preferences.  One of the really cool things is that they offer a vegetarian meal!

Medieval Times

My kids and I are vegetarian, so this was much appreciated.  We started off with drinks and Dragon’s Blood (tomato bisque), served in a metal dish.  There are no utensils at Medieval Times (although there was an exception for our vegetarian soup for dinner), so we had to drink our Dragon’s Blood out of the bowl – which the kids thought was pretty awesome (both the tomato bisque and the lack of utensils!).

Medieval Times

Our meal also included garlic bread, hummus with veggies and pita bread, and pound cake.  My husband’s non-vegetarian meal included chicken.

Our meal was served in parts, so that it was spread out over the two hour show.  We were really impressed by the show, which has much more than I was expecting.  The beginning starts out with some introductions, including narration and the king and queen’s arrival.

Medieval Times

There were lots of neat things to see, like the Royal Falconer and Dressage.  I was impressed to even see a horse perform a capriole, which is a leap with a kick.

Medieval Times

We were excited to see our knights come out, and to cheer on our knight for the Black & White section.

Medieval Times

The knights did several competitions, such as racing, aiming a spear at a target, jousting, and finally one-on-one combat.  The competitions are very well done, from splintering poles during jousting to sparks flying from weapons as they clashed together.  The choreography was seamless and entertaining.  The knights definitely put their all into the performances, like when our knight leaped from his horse while it was running during a joust!

My daughter was very happy to receive a flower from our knight during the evening, as he had won a competition rewarded by a flower from the queen!  Unfortunately, in the very end, our knight did not win, and the kids were genuinely bummed that ours did not win.  No worries though, they were just really into the whole Medieval Times experience!

The show was overall very well done.  The kids never once complained they were bored, and were really into the whole experience.  The only thing they complained about was that they were hoarse from screaming and full from dinner!

Medieval Times

On the way out, we picked up the photos we had taken before the show, which was a nice souvenir to have.  Not only was the show quite enjoyable for the whole family, but the gift shop, souvenirs, dungeon, and overall facilities were all great.  I even was impressed with customer service, as I called on a weekend more than once, including changing our scheduled time, and the representative was super helpful.

I highly recommend Medieval Times!  Our whole family had such an awesome time and we have so many great memories from that night.  The kids are already talking about going back!

You can visit Medieval Times at http://www.medievaltimes.com/

There are 9 locations, so check to see if there is one near you, or next time you are on a trip!

Follow them on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Vine.

By | 2018-02-21T22:05:01+00:00 October 13th, 2016|Entertainment, Family, Travel|36 Comments

1. Carissa Pelletier January 11, 2017 at 8:15 pm - Reply

We ended trying a pirate themed night once, but always had Medieval Times on our to-do list. We’ll have to try it!

2. Marcie W. January 13, 2017 at 12:30 am - Reply

What a great way to spend together as a family! I know my kids would really enjoy an opportunity to eat with their hands as well.

3. Dana Vento January 13, 2017 at 4:38 pm - Reply

We love medieval times especially because you can eat allergen free and meatless! Great entertainment for a family

4. Kimberly Croisant January 14, 2017 at 4:54 pm - Reply

I’ve been to the one in Dallas many years ago, actually when it first opened its doors. So glad to see it’s still going strong. Kids love it!

5. Barb Webb January 15, 2017 at 4:40 am - Reply

Medieval Times is so much fun for families. My kids loved not using utensils, too, totally adds to the charm! Love that you can get vegetarian meals, good to know for future reference.

6. robin rue April 27, 2017 at 12:03 pm - Reply

I am super jealous. I have always wanted to go to a Medieval Times, but we don’t have one in New England. I might be going to the one in Orlando this summer, though 🙂

7. candy April 27, 2017 at 12:19 pm - Reply

I think attending stuff like this is awesome. The kids always have a blast and they might even learn some history without knowing it. Plus it is just darn fun.

8. Tim B April 27, 2017 at 1:14 pm - Reply

My wife and I had a great time at this show in Vegas during a visit before we had kids. We’ve been planning on going back with them but are waiting til they are a bit older to make sure they enjoy the experience.

9. Jeanette April 27, 2017 at 1:54 pm - Reply

Oh my gosh her daughters face in that first picture LOL. I was dying when I saw that. My son will make faces like that also. I wish we had a place like this down by us but we do not. The next time I can find a place that has one we are definitely going! It looks like so much fun.

10. Heather @ Kraus House Mom April 27, 2017 at 4:19 pm - Reply

My kids love going to the Renaissance faire so the would probably love this. I’m going to keep an eye out during our summer travels to see if we end up near one.

11. Sarah Bailey April 27, 2017 at 5:21 pm - Reply

I’ve always fancied trying a night like this, they always sound such fun and just amazing entertainment.

12. Katie Kinsley April 27, 2017 at 6:14 pm - Reply

I have never been to Medieval Times before, but I’ve always wanted to go. I tried making time last year, but it never happened.

13. Kimberly April 27, 2017 at 6:43 pm - Reply

This is so much fun! We have never done a medieval times dinner before – there’s none around us. But if there were, we totally would. We did go to a medieval fair and it was such a blast.

14. Pam Wattenbarger April 27, 2017 at 7:07 pm - Reply

We went to Medieval Times and had a blast. We actually had our three week old granddaughter with us (its a long story) but she slept through all of it.

15. Maurene Cab April 27, 2017 at 11:54 pm - Reply

This is something that my family will enjoy! I’ve been thinking to have a medieval time themed event as well.

16. David Elliott April 28, 2017 at 6:55 am - Reply

That’s so cool that they have that there. I thought it was just a local thing in the LA area. My daughter and i have gone once out here and we did have a lot of fun. I am not sure she loved the food but she liked it and she loved the whole experience.

17. Annemarie LeBlanc April 28, 2017 at 10:41 am - Reply

This would be a great family experience. From the museum, to the food, to the knights and the competitions they participated in. I wish they had this Medieval Times near my area. I would take my grandchildren to watch it for sure.

18. Mars April 28, 2017 at 10:42 am - Reply

This looks like a fun experience. Thanks for sharing a glimpse of the medieval times. Awesome show!

19. My Teen Guide April 28, 2017 at 12:44 pm - Reply

The torture devices in the exhibit look scary. I am imagining how much pain a person has to suffer in those things! On the other hand, I love how food is served. Those mugs, and plates make you feel like you were transported back in time.

20. Anosa April 29, 2017 at 8:50 am - Reply

Such a memorable experience it was! Feeling like back in the old times. I hope you enjoy it. Feels like a bit scary if you will just look on the pictures.

21. Kiwi May 1, 2017 at 6:58 am - Reply

Ive actually been to Medieval Times a few years ago in Atlanta. It was so fun and they gave a huge turkey leg for my meal!

22. Meeta May 1, 2017 at 9:27 am - Reply

I love themed evenings and Medieval themed ones are our favorite too. Always so much fun and the food is just grand!

23. Heather Johnson June 9, 2017 at 4:56 pm - Reply

I went to Medieval Times once for a field trip when I was a kid. The experience was pretty fun!

24. Marcie W. June 9, 2017 at 8:29 pm - Reply

What an awesome idea for quality family fun! I love the idea of cheering for your specific section and my kids would get a real kick out of eating sans utensils.

25. Bill Sweeney June 11, 2017 at 6:09 pm - Reply

My family loves Medieval Times. We all love the show, but my sons and I get into it the most. We eat with our hands and yell in character. Everyone around us must think we believe it’s real. LOL

26. Brandy June 12, 2017 at 3:21 pm - Reply

I have thought about going here before, as it looks like a fabulous time but have yet to make it. I will just continue to stock your stories and photos 😉 Looks like a blast!

27. Scott June 13, 2017 at 3:52 pm - Reply

I love that they make you eat w/o utensils. It becomes a food fight in our family, and we’ve been known to toss a roll or two!

28. Cyn Gagen November 2, 2017 at 8:54 pm - Reply

I just love going to Medieval Times. My family has always really been into history and this is the perfect chance to immerse ourselves in it. We had a great time and can’t wait to go back.

29. Colleen November 3, 2017 at 11:13 pm - Reply

I’ve always wanted to do this! Looks like such a good time. Great recap!

30. Nicole Anderson | Camping for Women November 4, 2017 at 12:04 am - Reply

This sounds like it would just be so much fun! I love how they themed the meal (Dragon’s blood and no utensils!) as well as the cool displays. Love the photos showing the horses and costumes – just looks so good. Have to see this one day.

31. Bailey November 4, 2017 at 11:16 pm - Reply

Interesting read! That would be a lot of fun to attend

32. Angie November 5, 2017 at 11:54 pm - Reply

What a fun experience and great to spend with the family. Would love to go one day.

33. shelly peterson February 13, 2018 at 1:12 am - Reply

I have always thought how fun this would be to go to. I wish we had a location near me.

34. Janet W. February 13, 2018 at 11:37 am - Reply

This looks like a really fun experience to share with my family! I’d love to go someday!

35. Rosie February 14, 2018 at 6:57 pm - Reply

This does sound like a fun time, and ihe kids being hoarse from screaming and a tummy ache from being full is a perfect advertisement of a good time! It is amazing they have a vegetarian menu – wow!

36. Peggy Nunn February 21, 2018 at 1:49 pm - Reply

These are so much fun. i am glad you enjoyed it. I don’t want to sit in that chair.