I found this recipe over at Budget Bytes, and couldn’t resist the combination of artichokes and spinach on pasta! This is an easy recipe and I had all the ingredients in my pantry, so it is something you can make when you need a quick meal. I made a few variations on the original recipe, and you can easily tailor it to your own tastes.
- 1 can (14oz) artichoke hearts
- 4 oz. frozen cut spinach
- 4 cloves garlic
- yellow onion
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 box fettuccine (12oz)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- freshly cracked pepper
- parmesan cheese (leave out for vegan version)
- Thinly slice the onions and mince the garlic.
- Drain the artichoke hearts and chop into smaller pieces.
- Fill a large pot with the vegetable broth. Add your olive oil, artichoke hearts, onions, garlic, and spices. Mix to evenly distribute them in the pot.
- Break the fettuccine in half and add it to the pot, making sure the pasta is under the surface so that it can cook evenly.
- Bring the broth to a boil, mix again, and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cover and continue to simmer for about 10-15 minutes, mixing periodically to evenly distribute the ingredients and prevent the pasta from sticking.
- Once the pasta is tender and the liquid is mostly absorbed, add the frozen spinach.
- Mix in the spinach as it thaws and heats.
- Serve – we like to top this dish with lots of Parmesan on top!