1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped into chunks
1 onion, chopped
3 apples (I used Braeburn…use what you like), chopped into chunks
4 cups chicken stock
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
Salt and Pepper
(Spice it up…cinnamon, nutmeg, chili powder, red pepper flakes…a tablespoon or so of whatever you like)
2-3 splashes of milk or cream
Sour cream to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- On a foil lined baking sheet, toss your squash, onion and apple pieces with 4-5 tablespoons of EVOO and lots of S&P. Roast about 45 minutes in the oven.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and either put everything in a standard blender to blend or put everything in a big pot and use an immersion blender to blend. Add in chicken stock and blend. (You can blend yours until it’s completely smooth but I only blend mine a tad. I like the texture of chunkier soup.)
- Once blended, make sure everything is in a big pot on the stove. Add in whatever spice you prefer (cinnamon for a sweeter soup…chili flakes for a spicier one).
- Bring the heat to medium-high and let it get bubbly and then simmer it about 10 minutes over low heat.
- Stir in milk the last 2-3 minutes and simmer.
- Remove from heat and serve with a dollop of sour cream.
Not only is Shay Shull the big sister to the Bachelor star Sean Lowe, she is also a busy mom of two toddlers and travel agency business owner. Determined to get a healthy, quick and satisfying dinner on the table each night for her family, Shay created Mix and Match Mama, a recipe site full of quick and easy recipes that can be mixed and matched to create even more dinners and desserts for busy women on the go. It’s more about the method than the recipe.