Before we know it, Christmas Break will be here and our homes will be filled with holiday guests and visitors. We love having people stay at our house over the holidays, but sometimes it is hard to know how to entertain everyone. No one really wants to spend a lot of money and with small children we usually need to stay home based.
So how do we pass the time when family is here. We play games. Games are the perfect way to facilitate family bonding, develop communication and foster relationships. There are some board games that we like: Quirkle, Ticket To Ride, and Morphology, to name a few. But these games only allow a limited number of players and are not always conducive to younger ages. So… we play games from the Family Fun Friday Game Book. The book came about as a response to the popular Friday Game Posts on Family Volley. It is full of tons of games perfect for families of all sizes and ages. And, all the games can be played with things you already have at home, on hand.
One of our favorite games to play is DICE 1 TO 100. It is the perfect family game for you this holiday season too.
The object of the game is to be the first person to write the numbers 1 to 100.
2-(6) Sided Dice
1 piece of paper
Gather your materials. On the piece of paper write everyone’s names in a column on the left (down the left hand side of the paper). Leave a few spaces or lines between each name.
How to Play:
1. Have all the players stand around a table in a circle, or sit in a circle. If you sit, be sure you are on a hard surface.
2. The first person rolls the dice, trying to roll doubles. If they don’t, the dice is passed to the next player who tries to roll for doubles.
3. The dice continues to be passed around the circle until someone rolls doubles.
4. When doubles are rolled, that person grabs the paper and pen and starts to write the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc… all the way to 100, BY THEIR NAME.
5. THE CATCH – while the person is writing, the dice is continuing around the circle. As soon as another person rolls doubles, they “steal” the paper and pen and start writing their own list of numbers by their name. Starting with 1.
6. The game continues in this fashion. The dice is always being passed, the paper and pen being “stolen” whenever someone rolls doubles.
7. The first person to be able to write all the numbers, 1 to 100 WINS!
After the paper is stolen from you, and then you roll doubles again and get the paper back, you get to pick up with the number you left off on. You don’t start back with 1. If you left off on 73, then you start your next turn by writing 74.
For our two year old, I write all the numbers next to her name before the game starts. When she rolls doubles she has to put a line through the numbers instead of writing them. Or, we have her circle the numbers instead of writing them. She loves it.
You don’t have to write the numbers all the way to 100. If you have small children, they can write to 10, or 20 while the adults write to 50 or all the way to 100.
Or…while the adults write to 100, young children have to write to 5, 10 times.
You get the picture.
You could also have kids write other things, draw shapes, letters, even other words. When our 4 year old daughter plays with us, she writes her name over and over. When she was 2 1/2 she couldn’t write her name, but she could write an “E”, the first letter in her name. So… she would just write “E” ever time she rolled doubles. As soon as the first person got to 100, we would count her “E’s”. If she had 50 of them, she was the winner.
It is hard enough preparing for houseguests. Once they arrive, finding something fun to do with them, shouldn’t make you crazy or be expensive. DICE 1 TO 100 is the perfect way to laugh and bond with your guests and family this holiday season.
Do you want more great games for your family? Check out Family Fun Friday. The book comes complete with laughter and fun, and is available in a PDF version also.