- 1 (2-3 pound) brisket
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 bottle honey mustard dressing (at least 16 ounces)
- 1 cup of water
- Tostada shells
- Caramelized onions, Guacamole, Monterey Jack Cheese to garnish
- Preheat a heavy pot with EVOO over medium-high heat.
- Rub your brisket down with generous amounts of salt and pepper.
- Brown each side in skillet 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer to a slow cooker (fat side up…I’ll explain later!) and pour in water.
- Then take your honey mustard dressing and pour the whole bottle down over the top of the brisket.
- Cover and cook on low all day (7-8 hours) or on high 3-4 hours.
- About 20 minutes before you’re ready to eat, remove brisket on to cutting board and cover with foil. (This will allow the meat to rest and the juices to redistribute and keep it moist.) Disregard the liquid in the slow cooker.
- Slice and shred brisket and serve over tostada shells with a variety of toppings (we love caramelized onions, guacamole and Monterey Jack cheese).
Of course, this brisket would be delicious on its own with a side of mashed potatoes…you don’t have to stack it on a tostada shell. The dressing gives the meat a delicious and subtle flavor that can’t be beat. This will be a hit with your family!
Ok…the fat side up thing…when you cook a brisket with the fat side up, during the cooking process, the fat will keep the meat moist and super flavorful if it’s on the top and the lean part is on the bottom. Just a little tip for you :).
Not only is Shay Shull the big sister to the Bachelorette star Sean Lowe, she is also a busy mom of two toddlers and travel agency business owner. Determined to get a healthy, quick and satisfying dinner on the table each night for her family, Shay created Mix and Match Mama, a recipe site full of quick and easy recipes that can be mixed and matched to create even more dinners and desserts for busy women on the go. It’s more about the method than the recipe.