The Mix and Match Mama is back again, and this time with a recipe that is perfect for a Halloween party!
- 1 box prepared white cake mix
- Yellow and orange food coloring
- Cupcake liners
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- White Sprinkles, optional
- Candy Corn
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare cake mix to your box’s specifications. Divide mix into two bowls. Using your food coloring, color one bowl yellow and the other orange.
- Double line cupcake tin (I always use two liners when baking cupcakes. This way, the outside liner stays cute and the design isn’t lost when it’s baked against the cupcake). One recipe will make about 16 cupcakes (not 24 like the box says).
- Fill liners about half way with yellow cake mix. Slightly hit the cupcake tin against the counter so that all of the yellow batter settles firmly in the tin. Top with orange batter. Bake 17-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool 5 minutes in tin before cooling completely on cooling rack (about 20 minutes).
- To make the frosting, beat butter, sugar, and milk in a bowl. Add in almond extract (almond is very good in this recipe but if you just don’t like almond extract, use vanilla…but almond is really good). Top each cupcake with frosting and decorate with sprinkles and a candy corn.
Not only is Shay Shull the big sister to the Bachelorette star Sean Lowe, she is also a busy mom of two toddlers and travel agency business owner. Determined to get a healthy, quick and satisfying dinner on the table each night for her family, Shay created Mix and Match Mama, a recipe site full of quick and easy recipes that can be mixed and matched to create even more dinners and desserts for busy women on the go. It’s more about the method than the recipe.