It’s no secret that when food is visually appealing, even picky eaters find it hard to resist (no matter the food). That’s why I love creating special bento box and muffin tin meals, and my kids love them as much as I do – it’s fun, it makes them feel more loved and makes a bland day go so much better.
Although they are often a tad bit more time consuming, it’s worth it to me because my kids end up eating healthier foods and trying new things that they normally wouldn’t try in regular, mundane meals. Many times I involve my kids in the process of preparing it, because when kids are part of the process of preparing, they are more likely to try the food. It’s a win-win in my book.
Now that I have a school-aged child (gulp), I can’t supervise his eating when he’s away at school. But what I can do is assure that his food looks as aesthetically pleasing as possible, so that he will stick to his own and not try to trade it for someone else’s junkie food. I already had a good “lunch stash” – a collection of cookie cutters, veggie cutters, food picks, bento-style boxes, silicone muffin liners, sandwich punches, and other odds and ends to make our meals fun and exciting. Then I received the Cube It from FunBites. It is quickly becoming my favorite of my fun lunch tools.
What is FunBites? It is a high performance curved blade cutter that quickly and easily cuts food into bite-sized shapes. The matching popper top pops out food instantly so hands are clean, food is untouched.
How does it work?
- Place cutter on top of food. Remove popper top and set to the side.
- Grab cutter handles on both sides, press down firmly and rock 5-6 times to cut through the food.
- Lift the cutter up, insert popper top and pop out the bite-sized pieces!
Why do I love it? The sheer simplicity of it, the multitude of opportunities to use it for every meal (not just for fun sandwich ideas like my sandwich punches) as a quick bite-sized cutter, and the versatility – that I can use it for my infant, toddler, and Kindergartner. Here are a few other pluses:
- It doesn’t have the cutest shape I’ve ever seen (cube), but it cuts neatly and evenly into perfectly symmetrical cubes (I have OCD tendencies!). My kids’ eyes are always drawn to clean lines and symmetry. (What can I say, they take after me!)
- It’s super fast! With an ordinary cookie cutter, I have to cut out each individual piece (of cheese, bread, etc.), which can become time consuming. But with FunBites, it’s one device and one cut for the entire sandwich or food item.
- It’s perfect for those kids that don’t like bread crust, as it is perfectly sized to remove the crust from sandwiches.
- It’s high quality and very sturdy, not easily breakable.
- It’s extremely easy to use (even my 5 year old can do it), and it doesn’t have any sharp edges that can cut the user. In fact, with the handles on the side, you don’t have to touch any of the “cutting” edges whatsoever.
- It doesn’t smoosh (techinal word) the foods I tried. It kept everything nicely intact.
- It’s 100% MADE IN THE USA and BPA free.
- It’s dishwasher safe. Any food that gets stuck in the gadget’s crevices come out clean in the dishwasher. Or, if you prefer, you can use a tiny cleaning brush (similar to the baby bottle brushes).
What do I use it for? I use it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and, well, all the time. My toddler will eat things much better if I have them cut into bite-sized pieces, which creates work for me (until now, that is). Use it on:
- Fruit (including but not limited to melons, kiwis, pineapples, mangos)
- Some veggies
A couple of drawbacks…
- Sometimes the bread (our bread is a bit on the chewy side) gets stuck on the popper. This is especially true with peanut butter sandwiches. However, it’s a quick fix – just use a knife or your fingers to remove the food that stayed on the popper (but then it creates an extra albeit quick step and the food may not remain untouched like it claimed).
- Sometimes the popper is hard to insert. It has to be at just the right angle, but it could just be a defect in my particular unit.
The FunBites cutter I received (Cube It) didn’t have any fun shapes other than the cubes, so it is better for those who are just wanting bite-sized pieces or to make a cute checkerboard/quilt pattern. The Luv It has many geometric shapes to make fun food art – from sailboats to ice cream cones to kites, the possibilities are virtually endless.
So join the bento trend. Break the boring lunches, get creative and add a bit of healthy eating for your picky eater!
BUY IT! Buy the Cube It or the Luv It for $12.99 each or $22 for a set that contains both. And now use code BacktoSchool on their site for FREE SHIPPING!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Other Official Rules and Details: Winner will be emailed after the giveaway closes and also announced under the featured “Recent Giveaway Winners” section on the homepage of our blog-azine within a few days after the close of the giveaway. Winner will have 72 hours to respond to our email, or another winner will be drawn. We never share your email with third parties. Prize(s) will be mailed directly from the sponsoring brand. No purchase necessary. Erroneous entries (specifically those that did not follow the entry rules) will not be considered. Non-US resident winners may have to answer a series of simple questions in order to comply with international regulations on sweepstakes. To view our complete rules and regulations, please click here.
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are solely that of NoM, and are completely honest and without influence. NoM has chosen to host a giveaway for this product(s) because we think it would benefit our readers. NoM will not responsible for prizes that have not been received, but will make every attempt to assist winner(s) in securing them in a timely fashion. It is the winner’s responsibility to make contact with NoM in a timely manner (within 30 days after the close of the giveaway) to report that a prize(s) has not been received or the prize(s) may be void. NoM may or may not be an affiliate of one or more products mentioned in this review, and by clicking on and/or purchasing products from a banner or link on this page, NoM may make a small commission at no cost to you. Click on the appropriate links to view our full policies, giveaway rules and disclaimers.