I was pretty excited to be able to review Dustin Maher’s book, Fit Moms for Life: How to Have Endless Energy to Outplay Your Kids. I have struggled with weight gain and exercise consistency since I have been out of high school. And to be honest, I am addicted to books on nutrition and exercise, and Dustin Maher’s book includes both! I like that Maher presents his information as a lifestyle change that includes: mentally preparing yourself to be fit, setting realistic goals and getting honest with yourself about where you are starting. I think these tips will help moms to see his program as more of a lifestyle than a “lose weight quick” program, and that is why the book is called, Fit Moms for Life.
The key aspects of Fit Moms for Life are:
- Mindset – deciding and preparing to be fit and healthy. Maher challenges moms to think what their life and health will be like 5 or 10 years down the road if they keep the same eating and exercise habits that they have now. He also encourages moms to envision themselves 5 or 10 years down the road if they were to change their habits and be the healthiest they have ever been.
- Dustin Maher also discusses setting both short term and long term goals and how to make them realities. When setting a goal, you should make the goal specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and with a deadline. For example, “I want to lose 15 pounds in three months.” This is a specific, measurable, attainable (for someone who is more than 15 pounds overweight), realistic and has a deadline. Dustin suggests you should set weekly, monthly and even long term goals.
- Maher also discusses getting honest with yourself. In order to get healthy, you must know where you are starting from. He strongly suggests that all his clients take before and after pictures, accurate weight and measurements, body fat percentiles and a fitness test. He has these instructions in his book.
- Nutrition – Eating healthy and whole foods in balanced proportions works with exercise to optimize a person’s weight loss and fitness.
- Strength Training and Burst Training – Dustin Maher recommends these types of exercising because they burn more fat than traditional steady-pace cardio workouts.
- Environment – In any attempt to change one’s habits and lifestyles, it is best to surround yourself with like-minded people or friends that can help you stay on track and accountable.
After reading a few chapters of Fit Moms for Life and watching the first video in his 12-video work-out series, a friend and I decided to do the exercises Dustin Maher recommends. He suggests strength training and cardio burst training to lose weight and get fit. We have been following his exercise program for just over 2 weeks now and I am feeling great. I have lost 5 pounds and already have a little bit more energy than I did before I started.
I have also been following his program for nutrition. I like that he includes all the food groups and macronutrients (proteins, carbohydrates and fats) in his nutrition tips. Maher suggests getting 30-40 percent of your calories from each of the three macronutrient groups per day. He also has his 16 rules to eat by which have been stated in earlier posts. Maher has tips on what to eat before and after a workout, too.
Besides the factual information in the book, Dustin Maher includes many testimonies of moms that he has worked with over the years. He also tells his readers why he specifically wants to help moms:
“I’m very close with my mom. My parents are still together after 32 years. I’m the oldest of four kids and my mom was a stay-at-home mom. Her days were filled with meeting our needs and maintaining the house. I always thought she was awesome. She gave, gave, and gave of herself – and she never put herself first. I see so many moms that are overworked and often under-appreciated, whether they are staying home with their kids or working outside the home.”
“I also love the fact that I’m influencing the next generatioon by working with moms. I’ve only been doing this for six years, so it’s too early to tell, but I anticipate that kids that are raised by active, healthy, confident moms will be a lot healthier and confident in their own lives. So by helping the mom, I’m helping her kids… and maybe even her husband, though that can be a tougher sell.”
Dustin Maher’s goal is to reach 0ne million moms by the end of 2015. Congratulations Dustin, here is one more mom that you can add to your list!!
BUY IT! You can buy Fit Moms for Life by Dustin Maher from www.fitmomsforlife.com for $17.99 (regularly priced at $19.99) or on Amazon for $14.13 with free shipping ($7.69 Kindle edition). The first DVD in the series retails fir $39.
Other Official Rules and Details: Winner will be emailed after the giveaway closes and also announced on this blog under the featured “Recent Giveaway Winners” section on the homepage of our blog-azine within a few days after the close of the giveaway. Winner will have 72 hours to respond to our email, or another winner will be drawn. We never share your email with third parties. Prize(s) will be mailed directly from the sponsoring brand. No purchase necessary. Erroneous entries (specifically those that did not follow the entry rules) will not be considered. Non-US resident winners may have to answer a series of simple questions in order to comply with international regulations on sweepstakes. To view our complete rules and regulations, please click here.
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are solely that of NoM, and are completely honest and without influence. NoM has chosen to host a giveaway for this product(s) because we think it would benefit our readers. NoM will not responsible for prizes that have not been received, but will make every attempt to assist winner(s) in securing them in a timely fashion. It is the winner’s responsibility to make contact with NoM in a timely manner (within 30 days after the close of the giveaway) to report that a prize(s) has not been received or the prize(s) may be void. NoM may or may not be an affiliate of one or more products mentioned in this review, and by clicking on and/or purchasing products from a banner or link on this page, NoM may make a small commission at no cost to you. Click on the appropriate links to view our full policies, giveaway rules and disclaimers.