The holiday season can be a rough time for the floors in your home. Snowy boots, spilled wine, and don’t even get me started on the dangers of cranberry sauce. Luckily we have some help from the flooring experts at Empire Today. Start the New Year off right by giving the floors in your home a facelift. Here are some tips for improving and maintaining the condition of your floors:
Empire tips for hard floors:
- Protect the Floor When Moving – Use a dolly when moving heavy furniture or appliances; never try to slide or roll heavy objects across the floor. It is recommended that you put down a piece of 1/4” plywood or Masonite to protect it.
- Avoid Sharp Objects – Sharp or pointed objects can leave indentations or scratches on the floor, potentially damaging it.
- Trim Pets’ Nails – Keep your pet’s nails trimmed to prevent them from scratching the floor.
- Watch Your Feet – Don’t walk on your floor with stiletto heels, spiked golf shoes or athletic cleats.
Empire Carpet tips:
- Try Stain Resistant Carpet – No carpet is absolutely stain proof, but styles have stain resistant treatments to improve your ability to clean up messes, they do not necessarily prevent stains from setting.
- Use Walk-off Mats – Mats are recommended for all home entrances to absorb soil and moisture, especially during winter weather.
- Move Heavy Furniture Occasionally – Move your furniture every few months to avoid excessive pile crushing. Put coasters underneath furniture intended for use in carpeted areas to prevent long-term damage if coasters are not used with furniture over a period of time.
Hopefully after using these tips your carpets and flooring will be restored to excellent condition. Plus, once that’s done you’ll be able to focus your energy on other New Year’s resolutions, like convincing your sister-in-law to host the holidays at her place next year.