Kale Chips – A Nutritional Powerhouse & Frugal Recipe

Kale Chips

I know this has to be a shocking change from my last few recipe posts, tee-hee! Really though, I’ve been doing my best to eat whole, nutrient packed foods during this pregnancy. Especially foods rich in iron, Vitamin C and Vitamin K. Kale is one of the healthiest veggies out there. It’s also known as borecole, and is in the Brassica family (cruciferous vegetables) along with other kid favorites (ha ha) like cabbage, cauliflower, bok choy, collard greens, broccoli & brussels sprouts.

kale chips

It’s touted to have cholesterol lowering benefits, cancer risk-reducing benefits (thanks to isothiocyanates A.K.A. ITCs made from glucosinolates in kale.) It also contains over 45 flavonoids to provide antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits. Although steaming is recommended to get maximum benefits, a cup of raw kale is low in calories and high in vitamins A, C and K.

kale chips

It’s also pretty inexpensive! A bunch advertised as 1 lb sells for $1.49 at my favorite grocery store, and I grabbed two bunches on sale for 99 cents each. I realize my prices are probably a bit lower than elsewhere, that’s largely why it’s my favorite grocery store!

kale chipskale chips kale chips

The first thing I did was cut the stems off, then slice out the center of each leaf. You can leave the halves large, or cut/tear them into bite sized pieces (bite sized pieces crisp faster/more easily!)

kale chips kale chips

You want to make sure to get the leaves nice and clean. Dirt and debris can hide in the ruffled edges of the leaves, so be sure to rinse thoroughly!

kale chips kale chips

Next, make sure to get them completely dry. I did this by laying the leaves on a clean, dry towel, covering with another, then pressing down on them and squeezing a bit.

kale chips

Transfer the dry leaves to a large bowl, and then you get to have your fun! There are lots of “recipes” out there; basically seasoning with different things (and often different cook temps/times.) The first time I made them, I just seasoned the leaves with a drizzle of olive oil, and a sprinkling of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.

kale chips

The next two bunches, I seasoned with olive oil and garlic salt. You can play around with these and do whatever you like!

kale chips kale chipskale chips

I used 1/2 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, drizzled a little bit, tossed, sprinkled a little seasoning, tossed, drizzled a little more oil etc. A little goes a long way, so don’t overdo it!

kale chips

I spread the kale leaves on two cookie sheets (in a single layer.) I used the convection multi-rack bake setting on my oven, at 250 degrees. This worked really well for me. The smaller pieces were ready in about 20 minutes, and the larger and/or more ruffly pieces took closer to 30 minutes.

kale chips kale chips

I’ve seen recipes with temps up to 350, and cook times as short as 10 minutes. Whatever you choose, just check them every 5 minutes or so to make sure you don’t burn them. I had to turn a few of the big pieces over halfway through, but you can tell that they are getting darker and more dry as time goes on!

kale chips

When they’re finished, munch away! They are a little crumbly, so eat them over a plate if you don’t want to sweep the floor, LOL! The first time I made them, my husband and daughter took a teeny, tiny bite and said they didn’t really care for them. My husband later said they did taste a lot like chips, and he didn’t dislike them. That’s actually quite a compliment coming from him!

That first time, my son refused to even try them. However, the second time I made them, the child who thinks no green vegetable (other than a green bean) is fit for human consumption, gobbled them up! I ended up having to cook a second batch, and he was trying to grab the raw leaves as I was getting them ready. As he munched, he declared: “Mommy, it’s ‘licious!”

Jawdropping for sure. He loved them! I didn’t even mind sweeping the floor after. 😉 He looked awfully cute with his kale chip crumb beard too!

A bunch of kale netted me about 5.5-6 ounces of kale leaves (I probably could have gotten more if I had cut more carefully!) This means the entire recipe contains about 137 calories (60 of that is from the olive oil), so no worries if you gobble the whole recipe yourself (which I may or may not have done!)

I want to try to grow kale next year; I bet that would get the kids (and the hubby) even more interested in eating it!

If you try kale chips, I’d love to hear what you seasoned them with, and what your family thought of them!

Fitteds and Pockets and Snappis, oh my!

Comments

1. 1
    Lorrie (pinklady705) says:

I have been wanting to try Kale like this. Thank you for the step by step photo instructions.

2. 2
    Chelsea Wong says:

Wash carefully, indeed. I brought them to a family gathering and my cousin bit into a juicy bug! Other than that, I love kale chips!

3. 3

Eek Chelsea, adding some extra protein, eh? Tee-hee! 😉

4. 4
    Karen Parris says:

I Hate kale, and have so far not been able to find a good way of incorporating it into our diet -I am so trying this!

5. 5

I love Kale! Just never heard of them as chips until now.

6. 6

Thank you for showing the detailed steps! I might have to try this!

7. 7

We tried these after reading this post and the family loves them! Such a fun way to eat kale! One of our favorite flavors is chile pepper. Thanks for the great recipe! We look forward to trying different flavors. :)

8. 8

Chile Pepper, yum!

9. 9

I have had some from the store and have been looking for a great recipe so I could make them myself. I think a little garlic would be great to add too!

10. 10
    Sari Berry says:

Thanks for sharing this recipe – this looks like a great healthy snack and I’m going to have to try it!

11. 11

I’ve always wondered what to do with Kale as I am not familiar with it at all! This sounds like a great recipe and I’m going to give it a try. I appreciate the step-by-step instructions and all of the pictures too! Thanks for sharing.

12. 12

I have never had kale, but I think I will try this.

13. 13

Oh man…..I’m so on the fence. It sounds like a great alternative, but I saw the news anchors doing on story on this last night. They ate one and proclaimed it “Yuck”.

Now, I’m a little more stand offish about the idea, in spite of the fact that they seem like a great alternative to chips. Maybe the secret is in the seasoning??

14. 14

They are definitely not yucky!! My 2 y/o gobbles them up! I think the secret IS in the seasoning, and cooking them to a crisp, but not burned!

15. 15

great instructions ! I have been reating a ton eof Kale during this pregnancy, trying to combat anemia. I need all of the Kale recipes I can get 😀

16. 16

This looks delicious, and super easy too!

17. 17

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I’ve heard of Kale chips, but I had no idea how to make them!!

18. 18

Thanks for posting. I’ve been dying for a good kale chips recipe ever since everyone started talking about how good they are (and good for you too!).
    Seems simple enough, even I can do it!

19. 19

You really make it appear really easy together with your presentation however I find this topic to b

20. 20

I’ve been looking for some recipes to use kale in. Baking them into chips is a wonderful idea! My family loves eating this sort of thing for a snack.

21. 21
    Sherri Lewis says:

I love homemade kale chips! It is hard ro believe that something that tastes that good would actually be healthy

22. 22
    alicia k (Petite Pilates Pixie) says:

i’ve been looking for a good kale chip recipe

23. 23

Thank you for sharing this recipe with us.

24. 24

It is fun to see how much the kids love em! I was skeptical until I tried them! I love making them with toppings, too. I found that for me, a tiny bit of olive oil goes a long way, because when the shrink so much, all that oil seems like so much more!

Trackbacks

1. […] out into other greens, and we planted Swiss chard, collard greens & more in our garden! While Kale Chips are one of my favorite ways to eat Kale, so is a big bowl of sauteed […]