Just in time for Thanksgiving, Scholastic Storybook Treasures has released this collection of stories about our American heritage and gives viewers an inside peek into the lives of Native Americans, Pilgrims, a President and a former slave. They offer a fun way to teach a small piece of American history.
The Giving Thanks…And More Stories to Celebrate American Heritage DVD includes these stories:
- This story is written and narrated by Chief Jake Swamp and is told in both the original Mohawk language AND English. It is a reminder of the blessings we have around us, from the moon and stars, large and small animals to small, seemingly insignificant blades of grass.
- Hearing a story told in its original language is a novelty. My kids particularly were interested in the words in the Mohawk language. It led to an interesting discussion about languages and the Native American culture.
- Introduce your children to Longfellow and the story of young Hiawatha in this beautiful narration with musical accompaniment.
- I have read this story many times, but was impressed with the presentation, camera work and music used to bring this story to life.
The Pilgrims of Plimouth
- Get a peek into what it was like for the first group of people to move to America. The good times and bad times are shared openly, emphasizing how difficult daily life was for them, and just how determined they were to make America their new home.
- I knew that the pilgrims had it hard when they came over, but this story really made those difficulties stand out. Another amazing resource to help us understand our ancestors!
Lincoln & Douglass: An American Friendship
- Narrated by Danny Glover, this story tells of a unique friendship between Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass. Of the four stories, this was my favorite. I had no idea these two men were friends. The story is full of historical facts and information. The illustrations are amazing, full of foreshadowing and hidden details not to be missed. Scholastic does a terrific job of bringing the illustrations to life and helping highlight the details. The music in the background adds another level of detail to the story. No wonder it won a Parent’s Choice Award!
- The DVD also includes an interview with the author of Lincoln & Douglass, Nikki Giovanni. What a treat! She tells the story of how the book came together, adds additional details to the storyline and points out the amazing illustrations done by Bryan Collier.
Scholastic continues to offer viewers the Read-Along feature. This shows the words on the bottom of the screen and highlights them as the narrator speaks. I love that it can be turned on or off. This is a helpful tool for new and beginning readers become familiar with the words they are hearing.
I appreciate all the amazing resources Scholastic Storybook Treasures offers. They can be used as educational TV time, to supplement a unit for school or to encourage interest in a specific subject area. Scholastic Storybook Treasures are truly a treasure for teachers, parents and students alike. Thank you, Scholastic! All these resources are available for purchase from Scholastic. Check out their other resources available for parents and teachers alike!
BUY IT! For $14.95
Other Official Rules and Details: Winner will be emailed after the giveaway closes and also announced on this blog under the featured “Recent Giveaway Winners” section on the homepage of our blog-azine within a few days after the close of the giveaway. Winner will have 72 hours to respond to our email, or another winner will be drawn. We never share your email with third parties. Prize(s) will be mailed directly from the sponsoring brand. No purchase necessary. Erroneous entries (specifically those that did not follow the entry rules) will not be considered. Non-US resident winners may have to answer a series of simple questions in order to comply with international regulations on sweepstakes. To view our complete rules and regulations, please click here.
Disclaimer: The sample product(s) reviewed was provided free of charge. NoM was under no obligation to review it if we so chose, nor was NoM under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product. The views and opinions expressed in this post are solely that of NoM, and are completely honest and without influence. NoM has reviewed this product(s) because we like it and think it would benefit our readers. NoM will not responsible for prizes that have not been received, but will make every attempt to assist winner(s) in securing them in a timely fashion. It is the winner’s responsibility to make contact with NoM in a timely manner (within 30 days after the close of the giveaway) to report that a prize(s) has not been received or the prize(s) may be void. Click on the appropriate links to view our full policies, giveaway rules and disclaimers.