Growing up these days seems more challenging than ever. Especially for girls. There is so much pressure to fit a certain mold. The challenges are numerous and it can be hard to know who you are when society, and the media can put so much pressure on our young girls as they grow. The tween years are especially hard. There isn’t much out there to support what my husband and I are teaching at home.
How refreshing, when I was able to review the Discovery Girls Magazine and Book Series. I was able to review the February/March issue and to read one of theFab Girls Guide Books to Sticky Situations.
Discovery Girls is a National magazine written for girls ages 8-13. It is written for REAL girls. It is a place where tween girls can express themselves, share ideas, connect with other girls and discover helpful tips for handling life’s ups and downs. They are also celebrating their 10 year anniversary. It is great to think that for the last ten years, they have been supporting young girls.
The magazine’s mission is to inspire and encourage girls to be more confident and resilient and help them deal with those difficult situations that all girls run in to growing up. It’s content touches on topics that really matter to tweens, helping girls grow and develop, forming a positive sense of self through solutions that build confidence, resilience and independence.
The pages are filled with HELPFUL ADVICE and WHOLESOME content addressing everything from peer pressure, to hairstyles, to future careers. Most importantly, much of their content comes from the girls themselves. Their embarrassing moments, their questions answered, and statistics gathered from their answers to their questions, polls and surveys.
They also have a great feature where they highlight 12 girls from a specific state to inspire readers. The content helps girls connect to each other and realize they are all going through the same thing in their own unique way.
Before I got my hands on the magazine, I worried about the advertising that might be included. I was pleased to see that the advertising was also very age appropriate.
A subscription is very reasonable. 1 year (6 issues) for $20. The books (a set of 4) for $40. What a great gift for the tween you love.
I was so impressed by these magazines and books. I know that our girls will grow up with them.
Why I loved the Discovery Girls Magazines and Books -They are age appropriate, wholesome, informative, fun, and build confidence in young girls. The magazine teaches girls to be strong, believe in themselves, and love who they are. They are also filled with appropriate advice on all the challenges girls face during these developmental years. Acne, puberty, trouble with friends, hygiene, boys (when appropriate), friendships, education, and so much more. When our daughter looked at the magazine, she was looking at real girls.
My only Concerns…and they are minimal
1. Although the magazines are filled with great information, they should not replace parents. It is really important that parents take the time to teach their girls all they can. The magazine would be a great, fun, supplement to what parents should already be teaching and doing.
2. Make sure your daughter is old enough to be reading them. The magazine and book series addresses embarrassing moments (think “period on your pants” and “how to talk to boys you like”). If you are not ready to teach these topics to your girls quite yet, then wait a few years.
Discovery Girls has a great website and blog. You can also subscribe to the magazine and order the book series. They have also recently released a middle school edition that is geared toward girls 11 and up. The site allows girls to submit their own questions and learn more about girls just like them. You can even check out a sample issue.
**Win** Do you want to win your own subscription to this fabulous magazine? Discovery Girls is offering one lucky reader:
- 1 year complimentary subscription to the Discovery Girls Magazine ($20 value)
- 1 set of Fab Girls book set ($40 value)
- 1 copy of their Collector’s Edition with 2 free gifts
To enter, tell me what your tween will be doing this summer (this is a discussion topic on their website).
This is required and must be done before the extra entries or your entries will not be valid!
(For 1 Extra Entry Each. Leave a SEPARATE COMMENT for each.)
- FollowA Nation of Moms on Twitter.
- Become a FAN ofA Nation of Moms on Facebook.
- Subscribe to A Nation of Moms blogazine via Email on the sidebar. (You must confirm/verify your subscription by checking your email inbox to complete the process.)
- Tweet about this giveaway. You can tweet once a day for an extra entry daily. Copy and paste: #WIN a Discovery Girls Magazine subscription + gifts @ANationofMoms! http://bit.ly/jQbNYt #giveaway #blogmania11
- Join our Blog Frog Community + Post something on our forum (either start a new topic of discussion or post an answer to a previous one).
***Giveaway closes July 19th @ 11:59 pm EST and winner will be chosen via Random.org. Open to US and Canada.***
Winner is will be emailed after the giveaway closes and also announced on this blog under the featured “Recent Giveaway Winners” section. Winner will have 72 hours to respond to my email, or another winner will be drawn. We never share your email with third parties.
Disclaimer: The sample product(s) reviewed was provided free of charge. NoM was under no obligation to review it if we so chose, nor was NoM under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product. The views and opinions expressed in this post are solely that of NoM, and are completely honest and without influence. NoM has reviewed this product(s) because we like it and think it would benefit our readers. To view our full policy, please click here.