When I first saw these guys, I was taken back to my Kindergarten days and the letter people. I am so excited to have something similar to share with my kids. There is so much detail and thought that has gone into the creation of each one of these beasts.
What I like about these cuddly monsters…
- Each Alphabeast has a distinctive name and no two beasts look the same. (Prepare to use the pronunciation key for their names! Some are very clever. All are unique!)
- The letters are sewn on each beast in a contrasting color, making it easy to tell which letter is on their tummy.
- Each beast comes with a description of his/her personality. We used this as fodder for a story starter.
- I love that the upper case letter is paired with the lower case letter just by turning the beast over. This is especially important for kiddos who tend to write their lower case letters backwards.
- The size is perfect for carrying around, laying on and tossing at your siblings without doing damage.
- The beasts are very soft and fuzzy despite their “beastly” appearance and name.
- They make a great “large motor” manipulative for spelling words.
- They are washable. That is important in our house.
These creatures are designed for kids ages 3-8, but usable for all ages. My 1.5 year old carries his around the house while my 9.5 year old keeps trying to get him to say “T” when she points at the beast’s tummy. So far that has not happened. At least he is getting multiple exposures to the first letter of his name! My 5-year-old loves to point at him and say, “Look, a D just like in my name!” I can imagine spelling the kids’ names in beasts and lining them up on a shelf, on their beds or in a pet net to help them learn to spell their name. The first letter of their name (first and/or last) or their initials could also be fun. The entire alphabet would make a great addition to our homeschool classroom.
Who can use these fuzzy guys? School teachers, homeschool teachers, parents, grandparents, adults, anyone! Can’t you see them sitting on the floor in the reading area of a classroom, on a child’s bed as a tactile/visual reminder of the letters of their name, or as a main squeeze to adorn your desk at work! It would be a fun birthday gift, Christmas gift, back-to-school gift, graduation gift, or wedding gift. (Give the bride her NEW initials in beasts!)
This is a brand new company. They have so much potential to use their amazing ideas in incredible ways. Some things I would like to see this company do in the future:
- Make number beasts that have body parts matching the number on their tummy. Imagine a two-headed beast, an eight-armed beast (I would be jealous of him!), a five-eared beast, a three-legged beast and one with nine teeth. What a fun, tangible way to teach kids about counting, too.
- Perhaps a beast with a big heart on his tummy would allow parents to spell messages to their kids like “I love U” or “I love Jack”, etc. Husbands and wives could give them as gifts to each other, too.
- Create stories/books to accompany each beast. Stories could include adventures where each beast encounters people, places and things along the way that correspond to the letter on his tummy.
Here are a couple of informational and animation videos as well:
BUY! Alphabeasts $20 each.
**Win** An Alphabeast in your choice of character/letter!
To enter, visit the Alphabeasts website and leave a comment on this post letting me know the NAME (not letter) of your favorite beast.
This is required and must be done before the extra entries or your entries will not be valid!
(For 1 Extra Entry Each. Leave a SEPARATE COMMENT for each.)
- Become a FAN of Alphabeasts on Facebook.
- Follow A Nation of Moms on Twitter.
- Become a FAN of A Nation of Moms on Facebook.
- Subscribe to A Nation of Moms blogazine via Email on the sidebar. (You must confirm/verify your subscription by checking your email inbox to complete the process.)
- Tweet about this giveaway. You can tweet once a day for an extra entry daily. Copy and paste: #WIN a lovable Alphabeast from @ANationofMoms http://bit.ly/ka1R28 #giveaway #blogmania11
- Join our Blog Frog Community + Post something on our forum (either start a new topic of discussion or post an answer to a previous one).
***Giveaway closes July 8th @ 11:59 pm EST and winner will be chosen via Random.org. Open to US Residents.***
Winner is will be emailed after the giveaway closes and also announced on this blog under the featured “Recent Giveaway Winners” section. Winner will have 72 hours to respond to my email, or another winner will be drawn. We never share your email with third parties.
Disclaimer: The sample product(s) reviewed was provided free of charge. NoM was under no obligation to review it if we so chose, nor was NoM under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product. The views and opinions expressed in this post are solely that of NoM, and are completely honest and without influence. NoM has reviewed this product(s) because we like it and think it would benefit our readers. To view our full policy, please click here.