For big events and holidays I am always scrambling to come up with a wonderful dessert to share or bring along with us when we are invited to eat with friends or family. Last year my husband’s aunt gave us this recipe – it was exquisite to view and to eat. With its beautiful appearance, pastel color, fresh strawberry taste, and no-fuss preparation, I thought it would be perfect for Easter. You can even make it a day ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator, so you don’t have to worry when Sunday rolls around.
Note: You can make the cake, custard and/or the whipped topping (beat heavy whipping cream with sugar) from scratch, or you can do it the easy way and buy the cake mix, custard mix, and whipped topping (like Cool Whip).
- 1 package of vanilla or yellow cake mix
- 1 package of instant yellow custard pudding
- 1 package of frozen whipped topping (8 ounces), thawed
- For filling: 1 cup of fresh strawberries, sliced or 1 package (8 ounces) of frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed and drained
- For garnish: 1/2 – 3/4 cup of fresh strawberries, sliced, halved or whole
Note: You can also use strawberry jam or preserves instead of custard.
- Prepare cake according to directions, but instead bake in two 9-inch round baking pans. Cool completely. This is very important or the cake will fall apart when you try to slice it in half.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare instant custard pudding as directed. Cover and chill in the refrigerator.
- Mix half of the whipped topping with the strawberries for the filling. Set aside.
- With a serrated knife, carefully cut each cake horizontally into two layers.
- Place one of the bottom layers on the serving plate and spread with half of the strawberry mixture.
- Place the top portion of the cake on top. Spread with all of the refrigerated custard.
- Add the next layer of cake and spread the remaining strawberry mixture on top.
- Top with the final cake layer.
- Spread the rest of the whipped topping on the top.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries before serving.