Whether you are a family that sends your kids to public school, private school or does school at home, this is a product you need to know about. In less than 20 minutes, I downloaded and installed the SpellQuizzer software, created several spelling lists (including my recordings of silly sentences using each word) and had my daughter using the program. Wow! That was easy.
Here are ten things I really like about this program:
SpellQuizzer allows you to create your own spelling lists OR you can download and use some that are already made, including the sound recordings. The downloadable lists include words grouped according to origin, theme and grade. Dolch wordlists are also available.
Spelling lists can be as long or as short as you choose to make them. That makes it easy for older kids to have longer lists OR for you to customize a shorter list to target problem words.
SpellQuizzer allows you to record your voice saying the word or a sentence which includes the word. This was my favorite part of the program because I could use sentences that were specific to us. I made up silly sentences about family members, pets, and familiar places. It had my daughter giggling as she worked through the list. Giggling and spelling at the same time? Unheard of before today!
I love the fact that my daughter could work on her spelling without me being present. I made the list and the recordings. Later in the day, my daughter started the program and practiced her spelling without me sitting next to her! Each list can be reused multiple times. There is no limit. I asked my daughter to go through her list several times a day. Lots of quick reviews with little help from me!
Kids can enter their own word lists, too. There is an alert if an entered word seems to be spelled incorrectly.
SpellQuizzer makes it easy to export your word lists to share with other SpellQuizzer users and to import lists other users have created. A group of students who are working with the same curriculum can share their lists via email or make them available for download on the web.
If you have a child studying for a spelling bee, this would be a terrific program to have available. Its flexibility to adapt to any spelling level can make it the perfect solution for those working hard to learn new words.
The price is not out of this world expensive ($29.95) AND you can download a free trial.
SpellQuizzer is easy for both children and adults to use. Here is a screen shot of the opening window. Just click and go!
A couple of things to be aware of before you use SpellQuizzer:
- This program requires the use of computer speakers or headphones and a microphone. If you do not have them, they can usually be purchased at any department store’s electronics department for under $10. There’s no need to invest in an expensive microphone as the inexpensive models usually produce acceptable recordings.
- On some Windows installations Microphone Boost isn’t turned on by default. This can result in audio recordings made using a PC microphone being unacceptably faint even with the sound level turned all the way up. This affects all programs that work with a PC microphone and not just SpellQuizzer. There are instructions in the SpellQuizzer help file and also on the web site for turning Microphone Boost on if such a problem is encountered.
A couple of things I would love to see this program do in the future:
- Offer or allow spelling lists for students taking foreign language classes (Spanish, German, French, etc.)
- Offer spelling lists of synonyms, antonyms, homophones and such.
I am very pleased with this program. It is easy to use and the recordable feature makes it extra fun. My daughter ASKS to do her spelling! Wow! If you are looking for an inexpensive, simple solution that can be tailored to your specific needs, this is your solution!
**Win**Sure you could download a free 30-day trial on the website, but you could also enter your chance to WIN a SpellQuizzer FULL Registration!
To enter, just let us know the hardest word that your little speller is currently working on.
This is required and must be done before the extra entries or your entries will not be valid!
(For 1 Extra Entry Each. Leave a SEPARATE COMMENT for each.)
- Follow A Nation of Moms on Twitter.
- Become a FAN of A Nation of Moms on Facebook.
- Subscribe to A Nation of Moms blogazine via Email on the sidebar. (You must confirm/verify your subscription by checking your email inbox to complete the process.)
- Tweet about this giveaway. You can tweet once a day for an extra entry daily. Copy and paste: #WIN SpellQuizzer from @ANationofMoms http://bit.ly/ifgeOQ #giveaway #blogmania11 #spelling
- Join our Blog Frog Community + Post something on our forum (either start a new topic of discussion or post an answer to a previous one).
- Search our directory of featured posts at A Nation of Moms and write a blog post, linking to one of them. You can do this up to 5 times with 5 different featured posts and on separate posts on your blog. (Make sure to include your url in the comment.)
- Blog about and link to one of our current giveaways.
***Giveaway closes April 9th @ 11:59 pm EST and winner will be chosen via Random.org. Open worldwide.***
Winner is will be emailed after the giveaway closes and also announced on this blog under the featured “Recent Giveaway Winners” section. Winner will have 72 hours to respond to my email, or another winner will be drawn. We never share your email with third parties.
Disclaimer: The sample product(s) reviewed was provided free of charge. NoM was under no obligation to review it if we so chose, nor was NoM under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product. The views and opinions expressed in this post are solely that of NoM, and are completely honest and without influence. NoM has reviewed this product(s) because we like it and think it would benefit our readers. To view our full policy, please click here.