French toast is a great treat any day of the week, but add a couple of ingredients and use a festive cookie cutter and you’ve got yourself a perfect holiday breakfast!
8 thick slices of Challah, Brioche, Hawaiian, or French bread
2 large eggs
2/3 cup whole milk*
1/3 cup heavy cream*
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon orange zest
3 tablespoons butter (for cooking)
* To make it even more festive, substitute the heavy cream and whole milk with premium heavy egg nog.
- In a large and deep bowl or dish, whisk together eggs until frothy.
- Mix in the milk and cream (or egg nog), vanilla, salt, cinnamon, honey, and orange zest. Allow mixture to rest.
- Meanwhile, cut the slices of bread into long strips about 1 inch thick OR use a decorative cookie cutter (Christmas trees, snowflake, stars, presents, snowman, etc.). If the latter, you will want to place a slice of bread on a hard surface and firmly push the desired cookie cutter into the center of the slice. Make sure that the cookie cutter has pierced the other side of the bread, but do not remove the cookie cutter yet. Using a knife, trim the bread around the cookie cutter and remove the unused portions of bread. Carefully remove the cut-out shape from the mold, set aside, and repeat for each slice of bread.
- Add the bread to the mixture and allow to soak for a few minutes. During this time, heat the butter in a large skillet or pan over medium heat.
- Remove the bread from the mixture and allow them to slightly drain (few seconds) before transferring them to the pan.
- Lightly brown on both sides (about 4 minutes).
- Keep in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- Serve warm with your favorite topping. (Suggestions: Powdered sugar, butter, honey, chocolate drizzle, syrup, jam, preserves, cream cheese, whipped topping, cream or fruit)