Warning: This is not your average music CD for children!
Oran Etkin’s Wake Up, Clarinet is filled with fun, educational moments about music, history and spatial relations. The music is upbeat jazz that makes you want to hum along while they highlight the clarinet, saxophone, piano, bass and trombone. Mr. Etkin calls his method of teaching “Timbalooloo,” and he has a unique way to introduce kids to instruments and ideas.
My kids’ favorite was the “Little Lamb Jam”, a new take on Mary Had a Little Lamb. Who knew it could be so exciting? I enjoyed the way he made the “Clara Net” seem like a real person who could do extraordinary, fun things. (Plus, I love the picture on the cover!)
And I am, apparently, not the only one who liked this album.
- Oppenheim Toy Portfolio gave it a gold.
- National Association of Parenting Publications gave it a silver.
- Parents’ Choice Audio Awards gave it a silver.
About Oran Etkins and Wake Up, Clarinet:
Described as great clarinetist,”an excellent improviser” by the New York Times’ jazz critic Ben Ratliff and a “woodwind maestro,” Oran Etkins, a featured performer on Putumayo Kids, has performed around the world with musicians ranging from jazz guitarist Mike Stern to rapper Wyclef Jean.
Oran continues the tradition of music education as a faculty member of the Brooklyn Conservatory and Washington Market School and through a groundbreaking new method of teaching music to young children. The popularity of Etkin’s educational method has spread through word of mouth. His music classes are now offered throughout New York City and have been attended by over 500 students. Etkin has also taken his educational method on tour, enabling families throughout the US to participate in his classes. Harvey Keitel and Daphna Kastner Keitel, who enrolled their son in Etkin’s classes for three years, remarked that he “makes music from all over the world accessible and fun for children to listen to and learn about. From the age of two, our son was talking about Herbie Hancock, Mozart, Samba, and African music – and he knew the difference.”
Wake Up, Clarinet features Jason Marsalis from New Orleans on drums, Fabian Almazan from Cuba on piano, Curis Fowlkes from Brooklyn on trombone, and Garth Stevenson from Canada on bass. Etkin, who is originally from Israel, plays clarinet, saxophone and sings alongside acclaimed vocalist Charnee Wade. Etkin is also in the process of adapting his method into a series of children’s books and is in the early stages of developing a pilot for a children’s TV show based on this method.
**Win** Wake Up, Clarinet this holiday season, courtesy of Sugar Mountain PR!
To enter, visit Wake Up, Clarinet and leave a comment on this post letting me know something you learned about Mr. Etkins, somewhere he’s performed or performed with, an award he’s won, or anything else you can find noteworthy on his website.
This is required and must be done before the extra entries or your entries will not be valid!
(For 1 Extra Entry Each. Leave a SEPARATE COMMENT for each.)
- Subscribe to A Nation of Moms blogazine via Email on the sidebar. (You must confirm/verify your subscription by checking your email inbox to complete the process.)
- Become a FAN of Oran Etkin on Facebook + POST the following on their wall (copy and paste): Stopping by from A Nation of Moms to say that I’d love to win Wake Up, Clarinet. http://bit.ly/baGQIF
- Follow Oran Etkin on Twitter.
- Become a FAN of Sugar Mountain PR on Facebook + POST the following on their wall (Copy and paste): Stopping by from A Nation of Moms to say that I’d love to win Wake Up, Clarinet by Oran Etkins. http://bit.ly/baGQIF
- Follow A Nation of Moms on Twitter.
- Become a FAN of the **brand new** A Nation of Moms on Facebook.
- Tweet about this giveaway. You can tweet once a day for an extra entry daily. Copy and paste: #WIN Wake Up, Clarinet CD by @OranEtkin from @ANationofMoms http://bit.ly/baGQIF #giveaway #ppro
- Join our Blog Frog Community + Post something on our forum (either start a new topic of discussion or post an answer to a previous one).
***Giveaway closes November 29th @ 11:59 pm EST and winner will be chosen via Random.org. Open to US Residents.***
Winner is will be emailed after the giveaway closes and also announced on this blog under the featured “Recent Giveaway Winners” section. Winner will have 72 hours to respond to my email, or another winner will be drawn. We never share your email with third parties.
Disclaimer: The sample product(s) reviewed was provided free of charge. NoM was under no obligation to review it if we so chose, nor was NoM under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product. The views and opinions expressed in this post are solely that of NoM, and are completely honest and without influence. NoM has reviewed this product(s) because we like it and think it would benefit our readers. To view our full policy, please click here.