By: Melanie Melugin, Going Green with Noah
Black Friday – Today.
I chose not to brave the crowds, but tried to steal a deal on Toys R Us.com at 10p.m. last night and missed out. Bummer.
In researching ways to go green this black Friday, I found some very insightful hints on how to be Green this Black Friday!
- Decide if you REALLY need it. It’s so easy to get caught up in the hype this time of year, especially for *the* toy of the year. But is it really something your kids (or you) will use after the holidays?
- Shop online – Reduce your footprint.
- If you have to go out – Carpool – Save the gas!
- Shop local. Check with the small businesses near you to see if they can price match or give you a discount. Look for deals on “Small Business Saturday”, the newest addition to the shopping focused days surrounding Thanksgiving.
- Buy American made. Help our economy. These products also have not had to be shipped overseas, using valuable fossil fuels.
- Do your research beforehand. Know if a price really is a good price and read the fine print on the ad before you choose to go to a store. Make sure the costs in gas to get there and time to wait for it are worth the savings.
- It’s lunch time – Skip the Drive Thru! – Idling wastes gas and emits harmful toxins into the air. Get out – Get the exercise – Hit the fast food store inside!
- If you must buy, make environmentally friendly choices. Research your products and buy eco-friendly cookware, energy efficient electronics, items made with recycled content, etc.
- Take a reusable water bottle and snacks and don’t forget your reusable shopping bags.
Thanks Metro DC Mom and The Daily Green for the hints !