Simple goodness…that is how I would describe Elizabeth Mitchell’s Sunny Day CD. Like a ripe orange cool and sweet or a cob of corn fresh from the field, this album made me sigh with contentment. Nothing high tech and no complexities are to be found in this music. It is a fun album filled with simple, familiar songs sung well and a few that are new to me. (I am always up for learning a new song.) The sounds of pure voices, mandolin and tambourine can be found throughout. I found myself singing along, tapping my toes and (later in the day) humming the tunes to myself.
The album is performed, in part, by Elizabeth, Daniel, her husband and Storey, her daughter. My kids especially enjoyed hearing Storey sing. There is something unique about kids singing that draws other children to the music. The songs that Storey wrote are a treat for other kids who love to write songs, too. The accompaniments were even partially performed by Daniel, making this a true family performance.
I loved that the CD came with a booklet which shared the story behind each song. It made the songs more appealing and brought a deeper understanding to this listener. Here is a bit from the Introduction to the album:
Sunny Day is a collection of “handmade” music of the finest kind, for folks of all ages. Steeped in the tradition, history, and comfort of the folksingers and elders before us and spun with the modern delight and wonder of children, the songs are as young and magical as the very young and magical songwriting family making the music.
The webpage is filled with information about the album, plus a free song download with coordinated lesson plan. There are even instructions to make a Sunny Day mask. You can download an individual song or the entire album along with the liner notes.
I think Sunny Day is something special. It has won several awards, including:
- 2010 Dr. Toy’s 100 Best Children’s Products
- 2010 Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Platinum Best Audio Award
- 2010 National Parenting Publications Gold Award
Elizabeth also has another award-winning album called “You Are My Little Bird.”
Her lovely voice brings a fresh sound to cherished American folk songs and other melodies from around the world. In a peaceful yet powerful way, she reintroduces us to the songs we thought we knew so well.
These albums are a very small part of the Smithsonian Folkways Project.
We are dedicated to supporting cultural diversity and increased understanding among peoples through the documentation, preservation, and dissemination of sound. We believe that musical and cultural diversity contributes to the vitality and quality of life throughout the world.
Their website is filled with folk music and resources for those wishing to learn more and share more about this genre with their students. I look forward to hearing more from the Smithsonian Folkways Project in the future!
BUY: You can purchase Elizabeth Mitchell’s Sunny Day CD for $11.98 or download it for $9.99. (Music makes great gifts for the holidays!)
**Win** Elizabeth Mitchell’s Sunny Day CD for a special child this holiday season, courtesy of Sugar Mountain PR!
To enter, visit the Smithsonian Folkways Project and leave a comment on this post letting me know another CD that you think you might like.
This is required and must be done before the extra entries or your entries will not be valid!
(For 1 Extra Entry Each. Leave a SEPARATE COMMENT for each.)
- Subscribe to A Nation of Moms blogazine via Email on the sidebar. (You must confirm/verify your subscription by checking your email inbox to complete the process.)
- Become a FAN of Smithsonian Folkways Recordings on Facebook + POST the following on their wall (copy and paste): Stopping by from A Nation of Moms to say that I’d love to win Elizabeth Mitchell’s Sunny Day CD. http://bit.ly/9mIZn9
- Follow Smithsonian Folkways on Twitter.
- Become a FAN of Sugar Mountain PR on Facebook + POST the following on their wall (Copy and paste): Stopping by from A Nation of Moms to say that I’d love to win Elizabeth Mitchell’s Sunny Day CD. http://bit.ly/9mIZn9
- Follow A Nation of Moms on Twitter.
- Become a FAN of the **brand new** A Nation of Moms on Facebook.
- Tweet about this giveaway. You can tweet once a day for an extra entry daily. Copy and paste: #WIN Elizabeth Mitchell’s Sunny Day Kids CD @Folkways from @ANationofMoms http://bit.ly/9mIZn9 #giveaway #ppro
- Join our Blog Frog Community + Post something on our forum (either start a new topic of discussion or post an answer to a previous one).
***Giveaway closes November 29th @ 11:59 pm EST and winner will be chosen via Random.org. Open to US Residents.***
Winner is will be emailed after the giveaway closes and also announced on this blog under the featured “Recent Giveaway Winners” section. Winner will have 72 hours to respond to my email, or another winner will be drawn. We never share your email with third parties.
Disclaimer: The sample product(s) reviewed was provided free of charge. NoM was under no obligation to review it if we so chose, nor was NoM under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product. The views and opinions expressed in this post are solely that of NoM, and are completely honest and without influence. NoM has reviewed this product(s) because we like it and think it would benefit our readers. To view our full policy, please click here.