I absolutely love squash, and there are so many yummy things you can make with acorn squash this time of year. Thanks to a friend who reminded me about this gluten-free recipe today, I am already planning my next grocery store trip to make sure I have all the ingredients to make this tasty, fragrant dish. This perfect autumn recipe is not my creation, and I have seen it in a good many websites (I can’t even remember where I found it last year), so I don’t know who to credit exactly. I guess I will just pick Taste of Home to credit. Just writing down this recipe makes my mouth water – now I need to go make it!
2 small acorn squash
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 T olive oil, divided (the recipe calls for canola or vegetable oil but I use olive oil)
4 skinless boneless chicken breasts (the original recipe calls for 4 chicken drumsticks and 4 bone-in skinless chicken thighs)
1/4 c packed brown sugar
1 T minced fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp dried rosemary, crushed)
1 tsp salt
1 can (15-1/4 ounces) sliced peaches, undrained
- Slice the squash by cutting it in half lengthwise and then widthwise into 1/2 inch slices, discarding the seeds and ends.
- Place squash in an ungreased 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Add garlic and 1 T oil. Mix together to evenly cover all the pieces.
- Brown chicken in a large skillet with the remaining oil.
- Add chicken on top of the squash.
- Mix together the sugar, rosemary and salt, then sprinkle it over the chicken.
- Bake uncovered at 350° for 45 minutes (make sure you baste it with the pan juices a couple of times).
- Remove from the oven and pour the entire contents of the canned peaches on top.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.