I have been a cleaning fanatic for as long as I can remember. When commercials about new cleaning gadgets come on, I get all googly-eyed. (Please tell me someone else can relate to this feeling.) However, I never would have dreamed that I would pass on this trait to any of my children.
My 3 year old son loves – no, he’s obsessed with vacuums. When one of his first words at 9 months old was “vacuum,” the extent of this obsession became more apparent. He’s been a walking vacuum commercial ever since, seeking out and using vacuums everywhere he goes (church, restaurants, stores, homes). We keep telling people that he is destined to be a vacuum salesman.
According to him, there are 4 types of vacuums – regular vacuums (which are upright vacuums), steam vacuums, mop vacuums, and little vacuums (canisters and dust busters). We happen to have a collection of all these types of vacuums. Yes, a collection. (Can you tell where he got this obsession?)
When our last vacuum broke just over 3 years ago, my husband was determined to find one whose warranty surpassed that dreaded 3 year mark (our vacuums always stopped functioning shortly after the warranty ran out). I was generally pretty happy about all of my previous vacuum choices, that is, until I tried an Oreck. From that point on, I was miserable without it. Sure, I had seen the commercials with founder David Oreck – “Take the Oreck Challenge – if you don’t love it, you don’t keep it.” But it never really sunk in until I actually took the challenge myself.
When we first purchased our Oreck, a pricey ($3000) vacuum salesman came to our door to give us his pitch. We entertained him and let him demonstrate to us how much better his vacuum was than ours. By doing test patches, he was suppsoed to show us the leftover dirt after cleaning with our own vacuum. He was stumped and rendered speechless when there was NO dirt leftover. For the first time in his career, a vacuum actually cleaned up the floor. And a clean floor means no dirt or allergens! The best part was that our Oreck was more powerful, less expensive and lighter weight than his vacuum. Needless to say, we kept our Oreck and he went a-walking.
Last week we received the new Oreck Edge upright vacuum and handheld canister unit. Just look at the eye-catching color combination and elegant design!
(After hugging the handheld unit for a while, my son made sure to tell me that those vacuums were his and I could “borrow” them. He even took it with him to Show and Tell.)
Both the upright and the canister are awesome! I have already seen changes from my current model that I absolutely love. I didn’t think another vacuum could top our Oreck XL21, but the new Oreck Edge is so much more powerful than our XL. I feel like we are trying to vacuum up the actual floor! My living room rug has never looked better.
Some features I absolutely love:
- It is more powerful than any other upright Oreck. There is no need to keep running it over the same spot multiple times. It picks up everything in a single pass, including the hair of my two dogs.
- It doesn’t feel bulky, and its maneuverability makes it effortless to use. Other units just seem heavy after using an Oreck. Since it lies down flat while maintaining suction power, you can even use it to clean under beds.
- The Versa-Glide true floating head makes moving from surface to surface seamless. Since I don’t use brooms, every floor in our house gets vacuumed. Having this feature has been priceless.
- With variable speed control, you can set it on high for carpets or low for bare floors (or several speeds in-between).
- There is a 10 year limited warranty on the upright and 3 year on the handheld unit. After a long and frank conversation with the owner of our local store (aka my son’s Disneyland), I found out that Oreck machines are built to last far beyond their warranties.
- With this warranty comes 10 free annual tune-ups, where they change out the bag and belt, take the machine apart and clean every nook and cranny possible. Afterwards, your vacuum looks and works like new! I LOVE this Oreck perk. In fact, this perk alone makes the vacuum worth its weight in gold.
- Though a sturdy workhorse, it is lightweight. Weighing in at only 13 pounds, even my son can easily use it. Plus, it saves my bad back.
- It has a light duty Quickwand on-board tool that you can activate without turning off the vacuum and switching equipment. All you need to do is “park” the unit. It’s also telescoping, so no additional extension attachments are needed.
- It boasts being the quietest Oreck upright ever. With his sensitive ears, my son enjoys this feature, and my infant daughter doesn’t get scared.
- It has a long-lasting Endurolife Belt. I don’t know exactly how long this belt lasts, but in the course of ownership of our last vacuum (that does not have the Endurolife Belt), I have only changed the belts at my annually scheduled maintenance checks.
- The long 30-ft. cord makes for less outlet changes during your cleaning sessions.
- The side edge brushes makes cleaning corners and along edges a breeze.
- It’s easy to lift the vacuum up and down stairs with the carry handle in the back of the unit.
Let’s talk about allergies…
At our home, my son has horrible allergies that leave him stuffed up, coughing, and with fluid in his ears for weeks and months at a time. Oreck’s advanced HEPA-Celoc Hypo-Allergenic filtration system in its inner and outer bags helps to eliminate 99.997% of pollen, mold, spores, dust, pet dander and other particles. That makes mom happy.
The Debate about Bagged vs Bagless Vacuums:
After much deliberation, I have finally come to the realization that I prefer vacuums that use bags. And not just any bags. Part of the filtration system I just mentioned, the Oreck Edge uses easy-to-install, disposable, odor-fighting, Celoc-layered bags with Saniseal. Unlike conventional bagged vacuums, when you remove the used bags, there is no dust cloud. Bagless vacuums accumulate dirt and grime in a canister that must be emptied out and cleaned up periodically. Yuck!
It may not be the Oreck Ultimate Handheld Unit (we have one of those, too) that can pick up a 16-pound bowling ball with its suction force, but I have been extremely pleased with the power of this little unit. It has an ergonomic handle (and additional strap) and weighs only 8 pounds. My son carries this vacuum around all day, picking up after my every mess and crumb with great ease.
Since I am all about organization, I like that it comes with a detachable pouch to store all the accessories. Like the its upright counterpart, it features a telescoping wand and variable speed control.
David Oreck has had 50 years of experience in perfecting vacuums. The company first started with the idea of designing a lightweight yet powerful vacuum for hotels. It was so successful that hotel staff wanted Orecks for their home use.
Oreck has a reputation for making the finest vacuums available. Its continued goal is to provide lightweight and easy-to-use cleaning products for every room in the house, each with exceptional durability. Oreck sells a variety of floor care products, air care products, home goods, and other cleaning products and supplies.
BUY: The new Oreck Edge retails for $799.95. Pricey? Yes, but if you think about how long it will last, no. Since it will outlast all of your other vacuums, it will be the only vacuum you will need to buy for a long time (which, in turn, makes this unit cheaper in my eyes)! It also comes with free shipping if you order it online, though I highly recommend trying one in person. You can always come by our house and try ours, but it may just be easier to find an Oreck store near you (they have 450 Oreck Clean Home Centers coast to coast). But beware… you will never be satisfied with another vacuum again. (As with all Orecks, you have a 30-day risk-free trial.)
WIN: I would love nothing more than to GIVE you a FREE Oreck Edge, so that you can be as happy as I have been. That’s why I am thrilled to announce that Oreck is generously offering one of our readers an Oreck Edge!
HOW TO ENTER:
There are lots of ways you can win! Just make sure that you leave a separate comment for each entry. If any of the required steps for are missing, ALL of your entries/comments will not be valid. Bonus entries can be completed after the mandatory entry.
To enter, visit Oreck and then leave a comment here telling me something you have learned from another product (not the Edge vacuum). This is required and must be done before the extra entries!
OPTIONAL BONUS ENTRIES
- Grab the code to this button and display it on your sidebar for the duration of the giveaway (leave url in the comment). (5 extra entries)
- Subscribe to the Village of Moms blog via Email on the sidebar. You must confirm/verify your subscription by checking your email inbox to complete the process. (2 extra entries)
- Follow the Village of Moms on Twitter or the become a fan of the Village of Moms on Facebook. (1 extra entry each)
- Become a fan of Oreck on Facebook. (1 extra entry)
- Follow Oreck on Twitter. (1 extra entry)
- Subscribe to the Oreck Newsletter to receive updates and special offers (towards bottom of page). (2 extra entries)
- Blog about wanting to win this giveaway and link it back to this post. (3 extra entries)
- Tweet about this giveaway. You can tweet once a day for an extra entry every day. Copy and paste: #WIN the NEW @ORECK Edge Vacuum @ANationofMoms http://bit.ly/c68djY #giveaway (1 extra entry, daily)
- Grab our teal button (on the sidebar) and display it on your blog or website until the contest is over. (2 extra entries)
- Leave a comment on any non-giveaway post. (1 extra entry)
***Giveaway closes October 26th @ 11:59 EST and winner will be chosen via Random.org. Open to US Residents.***
Winner is announced on this blog under the featured “Recent Giveaway Winners” section after the giveaway closes. Winner will have 48 hours to respond to my email, or another winner will be drawn. We will not share your email with third parties.
Disclaimer: The sample product(s) reviewed was provided free of charge. VoM was under no obligation to review it if we so chose, nor was VoM under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product. The views and opinions expressed in this post are solely that of VoM, and are completely honest and without influence. VoM has reviewed this product(s) because we like it and think it would benefit our readers. To view our full policy, please click here.