This soup is great to spice things up on a dreary autumn day. it can be served as the main dish or as an accompaniment to a meal.
- 1 butternut squash (peel, remove seeds and cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 2-3 carrots (peel and sliced into 1/2 inch slices)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 T curry powder
- 1 T oil (I use coconut oil, but you can use vegetable oil)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 t salt to taste
- 2 T honey
- Optional: 1 t fresh ginger, finely grated
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large stockpot.
- Sauté the garlic and onions 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add squash, carrots, broth, curry, and salt.
- Bring to a boil,then reduce heat and simmer until squash and carrots are tender ( approximately 15 minutes). Turn off heat and add honey.
- Place soup into a blender, mixer, or food processor (in batches, if necessary), and puree until smooth and satiny.