The autumnal equinox is finally here, and today is the first official day of autumn! This is by far my favorite season. In fact, I love everything this season has to offer:
- The crisp weather (cool enough for people to sport their fashionable jackets but not cold enough yet to send people running back indoors) and occasional snow flurry
- The excitement of football games, the warmth exuding from fire pits as you roast marshmallows
- The inviting aroma of apple cider and pumpkin pie baking
- The sounds laughter and playing as kids walk home from school
- The beauty of leaves turning and subsequently falling (and then playing in them!)
- The sound of those same leaves crunching beneath my feet, stroller or car tires or even rustling in the wind. (I actually LOVE it when the street fills with fallen leaves!)
- And the best part – enjoying the outdoors SANS BUGS!!
As far as I can see, there is only one thing wrong with autumn. Christmas is in the winter and not in the fall! (Christmas is my favorite holiday.)
In honor of the first day of autumn, I will be baking my butternut squash pie (I bought the squash a few days ago in preparation and have been anticipating this very moment). It’s really the only pie I ever consistently bake every year, and my poor husband patiently waits all year for me to make it. So, I thought I would kick off this season with the recipe to my pie, some orange cranberry mulled cider, and a curried butternut squash carrot soup. I hope you enjoy these recipes.