Do you drink sodas and sparkling water? Would you rather have the freedom to make it at home at lower costs? SodaStream provides a way! A healthier, “greener” and cheaper way without the use of batteries or electricity! With a touch of a button, you can enjoy soda your way… adjusting the amount of fizziness (less bubbles, more bubbles) and the amount of flavoring or sweetness.
We stopped buying sodas a long time ago. Aside from the fact that they are just not that great for you, they cost a whole lot over the course of a year. With SodaStream, you can make soda from your tap water (though we use distilled water from our own distiller) in a mere few seconds at great savings.
How does it work? Easy peasy!
The entire process from start to finish takes less than 2 minutes. Fill the bottle with water, attach it to the machine, press the button 3 times to carbonate it, then remove the bottle. Add flavoring to it now, or save it as sparkling water.
If you do the latter, you can later add flavoring to your glass, so that everyone can have a different flavor. That also makes it so that if carbonation is lost, you can re-carbonate it, as you can’t re-carbonate if it has flavoring added. Though I don’t know how often you would really need to re-carbonate it since the hermetic seal on the cap keeps the soda fresher (or from going flat) longer than the store-bought kinds.
This machine is really my husband’s baby, since he’s the carbonation drinker in the family. He LOVES his sparkling water, so I was very excited to receive SodaStream’s Fountain Jet for him to try to his heart’s content. Actually, we all have rather enjoyed the process of making it ourselves!
Though I only drink it about once a year (or less), I am a Coke girl through and through. I don’t even touch Pepsi. Maybe a better term for me would be Coke snob, since I prefer Coke in glass bottles made overseas. And I don’t much enjoy other sodas, though I tolerate them (mostly for the sake of having no caffeine). With that being said, I personally was not that excited (and a bit skeptical) to try the 9 SodaMix and 3 MyWater Essence flavors we received.
We haven’t gotten around to trying out all the flavors, but much to my astonishment, so far, so good:
- The cola flavoring provided was not Coke. A sip was enough for me, but my husband rather enjoyed it.
- Their lemonade flavor tastes a lot like Squirt to me, but better.
- I’m not a fan of the diet varieties, but I NEVER like diet anything.
- Since I am nursing, I stay away from the “energy” drinks.
- Orange-mango is the best one (for me anyway).
Honestly, I really can’t wait until we try out all the flavors. But what I’m really waiting for is for when we can buy some orange, apple, or grape juice this week. Add some to sparkling water to make sparkling juice varieties!
The best part about the flavoring is that you can customize it the way you like, adding more or less per your liking, or even mixing flavors to create a new variety. With over 25 to choose from (diet, regular, caffeine-free, energy, and flavored water enhancers), the possibilities of creations are virtually limitless.
The regular flavors contain no high fructose corn syrup, and the diet ones are aspartame-free. They are also lower in sugar, carbs, sodium, caffeine, and calories than the store-bought brands. For full nutritional info, see SodaStream’s comparison chart. The amounts are definitely surprising!
The SodaStream machine is lightweight and small, so it doesn’t take up much counter space. And my husband said it took less than 10 minutes to get it out of the box to set it up and start using it. Clean up is also a breeze, though you cannot put the two reusable BPA-free bottles in the dishwasher.
- Each 500 ml soda mix bottle makes the equivalent of 12 liters of soda or approximately about 33 cans.
- One SodaStream carbonator makes 60 or 110 liters, equivalent to 170 or 310 cans! (The carbonator can be refilled and reused.)
- The cost? About 25 cents per can of soda, 25 cents for a liter of sparkling water.
Buy: You can buy the Fountain Jet or other models (the modern Genesis, the glass Penguin, the award-winning stainless steel Pure) starting at just under $100 online at SodaStream or at retailers like Bed, Bath and Beyond.
Win: SodaStream is providing one of you with a Fountain Jet Soda Lover’s Start-Up Kit! It includes the winner’s choice of the black/silver, white or red/silver Fountain Jet, a carbonator to make over 100 liters of soda, 2 reusable carbonating bottles, a sample pack of flavors, and 3 full-sized flavors of the winner’s choice.
Browse SodaStream and let me know which flavor you’d like to try by leaving me a comment here. Make sure you have included your email in your comment, or have it visible in your profile.
If any of these REQUIREMENTS are missing, ALL of your entries/comments will not be valid.
- Subscribe to the Village of Moms blog via Email on the sidebar. You must confirm/verify your subscription by checking your email inbox to complete the process (I will check). (5 extra entries)
- Follow SodaStream on Twitter. (1 extra entry)
- Become a fan of SodaStream on Facebook. (1 extra entry)
- Follow Village of Moms on Twitter. (1 extra entry)
- Join the Village of Moms group on Facebook. (2 extra entries)
- Subscribe to the rss feed of the SodaStream blog. (2 extra entries)
- Blog about wanting to win this giveaway. Leave the link of your post in your comment, so I can visit. (3 extra entries)
- Share this giveaway on your Facebook wall. (1 extra entry)
- Tweet about this giveaway. You can tweet daily for one additional entry per day. Leave the url so I can verify your tweet. (1 extra entry, daily)
- Grab my button (on the sidebar) and display it on your blog or website until the contest is over. (2 extra entries)
***Giveaway closes July 26th @ 11:59 EST and winner will be chosen via Random.org. Open to all US residents.***
Winner is announced on this blog under the featured “Recent Giveaway Winners” section after the giveaway closes. Winner will have 48 hours to respond to my email, or another winner will be drawn. We will not share your email with third parties.
Disclaimer: The sample product(s) reviewed was provided free of charge. I was under no obligation to review it if I so chose, nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product. The views and opinions expressed in this post are solely that of VoM, and are completely honest and without influence. I have reviewed this product(s) because I like it and think it would benefit my readers. To view our full policy, please click here.