Let me start with some background…
My hair is not your typical hair. Most styling products on the market are made for the typical hair. And by typical hair, I mean your average hair type – could be straight or curly, slightly dry or slightly oily, not super fine nor super thick. My hair is super dry, super fine, and super curly. Not a good combination, let me tell you.
I usually have to really put a fair amount of hair product in my hair to weigh it down, thicken it up, and make it unfrizzy. If I didn’t, it would be one big fro-ey mess. And my hair NEVER gets oily. Ever. Not that I would try, but I could go months without washing my hair and not a single ounce of oil would accumulate. That’s a good thing and a bad thing. No oil translates into dry hair.
Finding a good hair product for me is like finding a rare diamond. You hang on to the one that works. I guess that’s why I have been avoiding this like the plague, even though I know that I need to make the switch to using a safer, more natu
ral alternative. And (sigh) resist the temptation of buying and using my current products.
I really wanted to try PRODUCT (yes, it really is called um, PRODUCT), but severely feared the change. Even for a day. The jar sat there starting me in the face every morning, begging me to give it a try. (Okay, maybe PRODUCT didn’t beg, but it sure did feel that way.) I literally procrastinated until the very last day (today).
I swallowed my pride and fear that it might make me have a fro-ey mess for a day, and finally got the guts to try it for this review. And boy did it have the ultimate test, a quadruple whammy: Humidity, salty ocean spray, and lots of wind on a freshly washed set of locks – all of which (singly) dry out my hair and make it super frizzy, so this was a major test. Would it work? Even my normal hair products have a hard time standing up to this test. Gulp. Here it goes…
PRODUCT is a 100% natural hair styling aid for men and women hand-crafted entirely from organic & plant-derived components in small batches to insure quality. It’s simple, pure, clean, natural and pleasant-smelling.
It claims to work well with all hair types (even mine???) and lengths to de-frizz, texturize, soften, condition, and glisten. PRODUCT’s 5 simple and natural ingredients are healthy for your hair while being friendly to the environment:
- Certified organic shea butter
- Certified organic aloe vera
- Natural source vitamin E (tocopherol)
- Wild-harvested (pesticide-free) white beeswax
- Food-grade tangerine essential oil
PRODUCT comes in a small glass jar. You’re supposed to scoop out a small, pea-sized amount of this thick substance (not gooey like a wax, though), rub it in your hands to “liquify” it and then smooth it through your hair (damp or dry) evenly. For me, personally, it was not that easy. Though I know my hair is not typical, I used way more than a pea-sized amount and it took me quite a while to spread it evenly through my damp hair (10 minutes or so). With 2 little kids under the age of 3, I don’t have time. Time is a luxury.
So, unfortunately, I would not be able to use PRODUCT everyday. I need something quick. Something that requires no fuss. My normal routine takes me 3 minutes for start to finish (including detangling). Again, not typical hair, so yours may take less time, effort, and product.
Overall, I am a little discouraged at the time factor, but I really did love the results. I am happy to report that it stood up (and passed with flying colors) to all 4 major frizz factors I challenged it with (my normal product doesn’t even do that!). An entire day has passed and my hair still looks shiny, isn’t frizzy, isn’t flakey or gooey, and feels soft. It really did glisten, as promised. Though I won’t be using it on a daily basis, I definitely will keep this jar for those special days that I get more time to get ready.
We also got the chance to review LIL PRODUCT for my son who loves to do anything and everything mom and dad do. LIL PRODUCT is a pomade for kids that is made with 6 natural, safe, super-healthy plant-derived ingredients:
- Organic Shea Butter (moisturizes and offers natural UV protection)
- Organic Aloe Vera (tames and soothes)
- Natural source Vitamin E (antioxidant that fights free radicals)
- Organic white beeswax (creates a natural barrier to seal hydration)
- Organic chamomile (brings out brilliant natural highlights)
- Organic cinnamon leaf oil (adds yummy spicy scent)
My son and I absolutely love the smell, and he loves to put it on himself. I love the fact that it is completely 100% safe for him to use. Unlike my hair, the recommended pea-sized amount was way too much for his hair. And it didn’t take more than a minute to style his hair! (Boy I wish I could have normal hair!)
CONNECT: Visit PRODUCT at http://www.thenameisproduct.com/
BUY: A .75 ounce glass jar of LIL PRODUCT costs $8.00 (it will really last you, though). A 1.5 ounce jar of PRODUCT costs $14.00. Twice the amount for less than twice the price.
WIN: The Name is PRODUCT is giving one of my readers a jar of both PRODUCT and LIL PRODUCT!
- You must be a PUBLIC follower of this blog via Google Friend Connect to enter.
- Leave a comment letting me know that you are a follower. Make sure you have included your email in your comment, or have it visible in your profile.
If any of these REQUIREMENTS are missing, ALL of your entries/comments will not be valid.
- Subscribe to the Village of Moms blog via Email. (2 extra entries)
- Follow The Name is PRODUCT on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nameisproduct. (1 extra entry)
- Become a fan of The Name is PRODUCT on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/PRODUCT-Organic-Pomade-for-Hair/69961768192. (1 extra entry)
- Become a RSS feed subscriber to the The Name is PRODUCT blog: http://thenameisproduct.typepad.com. (2 extra entries)
- Follow Village of Moms on Twitter. (1 extra entry)
- Join the Village of Moms on Facebook. (1 extra entry)
- Enter another of my giveaways and let me know which one you enter. (1 extra entry for each giveaway entered)
- Blog about wanting to win this giveaway. Leave the link of your post in your comment, so I can visit. (3 extra entries)
- Share this giveaway on your Facebook wall. (1 extra entry)
- Tweet about this giveaway. You can tweet daily for one additional entry per day. Leave the url so I can verify your tweet. (1 extra entry, daily)
- Grab my button (on the sidebar) and display it on your blog or website until the contest is over. (2 extra entries)
- Purchase anything between now and July 4th from The Name is PRODUCT. (5 extra entries)
***Giveaway closes July 4th @ 11:59 EST and winner will be chosen via Random.org. Open to all US Residents.***
Winner is announced on this blog under the featured “Recent Giveaway Winners” section after the giveaway closes. Winner will have 48 hours to respond to my email, or another winner will be drawn. We will not share your email with third parties.
Disclaimer: The sample product(s) reviewed was provided free of charge. I was under no obligation to review it if I so chose, nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product. The views and opinions expressed in this post are solely that of VoM, and are completely honest and without influence. I have reviewed this product(s) because I like it and think it would benefit my readers. To view our full policy, please click here.