(from Better Homes and Gardens Crockery cookbook)
1.5 lb beef flank steak
10 oz can chopped tomatoes with green chili peppers
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T snipped fresh oregano (or 1 t dried oregano, crushed)
1 t chili powder
1 t ground cumin
1/4 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
2 small green, red, and/or yellow sweet peppers, cut into strips
15 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
3 cups hot cooked rice
Optional: Crumbled queso fresco (or feta cheese), snipped fresh oregano
- Trim fat from meat and place meat in a 3.5-4 quart crock pot.
- In a bowl, stir together undrained tomatoes, onion, garlic, dried oregano (if using), chili powder, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on low 7-9 hours or high for 3.5-4.5 hours.
- Add sweet peppers strips and pinto beans. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Remove meat and cool slightly.
- Shred or thinly slice neat across the grain.
- If using fresh oregano, stir into bean mixture.
- To serve, spoon rice into soup bowls. Arrange meat on top of rice. Spoon bean mixture over meat. if desired, sprinkle with cheese and additional oregano.