(from Better Homes and Gardens Crockery cookbook)
1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts or thighs, rinsed and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups bias-sliced carrots
1 large onion, chopped
2 T grated ginger root
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks lemongrass (use only the fibrous white bulb which contains a lemon fragrance and flavor), cut into 1-inch pieces (or 1 t finely shredded lemon peel)
1/2 t crushed red pepper
15 oz can unsweetened coconut milk
1 medium red, yellow, or green sweet pepper, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
8 oz can (or two 4 oz cans) straw or button mushrooms, drained
1/4 cup snipped cilantro
1/3 cup chopped roasted peanuts (I leave this ingredient out, as I am not much of a fan of nuts in my food)
- In a 3.5 to 5 quart crock pot, combine chicken, broth, carrots, onion, ginger root, garlic, lemongrass (or lemon peel), and crushed red pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours (or high for 3-3.5 hours).
- If necessary, skim fat.
- Stir in coconut milk, sweet pepper, mushrooms, and cilantro into chicken mixture.
- Cover and let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove and discard lemongrass (if you chose this option).
- Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle peanuts over each serving.