(from Better Homes and Gardens Crockery cookbook)
2 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 medium turnip, peeled and cubed (1 cup)
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup snipped dried tomatoes (not oil-packed)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 t instant beef bouillon granules
1/2 t dried basil, crushed
1/2 t dried oregano, crushed
1/8 t pepper
1.5-2 lb boneless beef chuck pot roast
1 cup water
10 oz package frozen lima beans or whole kernel corn
1 cup frozen peas
20 oz package refrigerated mashed potatoes (or you can make your own from scratch – I do!)
1 T finely snipped fresh basil
- In a 3.5- 4 quart crock pot, combine carrots, turnip, onion, dried tomatoes, garlic, bouillon granules, dried basil, dried oregano, and pepper.
- Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut roast to fit into crock pot. Place meat on top of vegetables.
- Pour water all over.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours (or high for 4-5 hours).
- Stir in lima beans (or corn) and peas. Let stand covered for 10 minutes.
- Prepare mashed potatoes according to package directions, except stir 1 T fresh basil into potatoes just before serving.
- Remove meat and veggies from cooker with slotted spoon. Reserve juices.*
- Serve meat and veggies over hot mashed potatoes. If desired, pour reserved juices over meat.*
*I actually will take about 1/4 of the cooked veggies and process them with 1/4 of the reserved juices and pour that on top of my picky eater’s portion.