This recipe actually takes a lot of prep and cooking (to me anyway) but it tastes great.
2 lb Pork shoulder roast
1/4 cup Fresh orange juice
1/4 cup Fresh lime juice
10 Garlic cloves, peeled
1 Red onion
1 Bunch of fresh cilantro
1/4 cup Chicken broth
1 t vegetable oil
4 cans of Black beans, drained and rinsed, then drained again (you can also make it from scratch)
- In a food processor, put cilantro, garlic, half of the lime juice and onion. Chop until all is a course liquid. Set aside.
- Generously apply salt, pepper, oregano and cumin to the roast.
- Sear the pork on both sides.
- Pour the vegetable oil into the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Place the seared roast into the slow cooker.
- Pour in the chicken broth, the other half of the lime juice and orange juice.
- Cover and cook on high until the roast shreds easily with a fork (approx. 5 to 6 hours).
- Remove the roast from the slow cooker, and shred the meat using two forks.
- Return the shredded pork to the slow cooker and stir.
- Add portions of the pulled pork and juices to a foil packets. Top each packet with some of the liquid you set aside from the food processor, and black beans. Fold packets to cover.
- Grill the foil packets for 15 minutes or until beans are heated through. You can also bake them at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Serve alone or with rice and plantains for a more complete Cuban meal!