(from Better Homes and Gardens Crockery cookbook)
12 oz bulk sweet Italian sausage
2 cups sliced fresh cremini and/or button mushrooms
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
8 oz can tomato sauce
6 oz can tomato paste
2/3 cup water
1 medium onion, chopped
1 T sugar
1 t dried rosemary, crushed (or 1 T snipped fresh rosemary)
1/4 t pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
9-12 oz dried mafalda, fettucine, or spaghetti (mafalda is a long, narrow or medium-width noodle with ruffled edges, resembling a lasagna noodle)
Optional: freshly shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, brown sausage. Drain off fat.
- In a 3.5 – 4 quart crock pot, combine mushrooms, tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, onion, sugar, rosemary, pepper and garlic. Stir in sausage.
- Cover and cook on low to 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Just before serving, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Serve sausage mixture over pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.*