(from Better Homes and Gardens Crockery cookbook)
For the Caramel-Apple portion:
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 T quick-cooking tapioca
1 t ground cinnamon
1.5 cups apple juice or apple cider
2 pounds cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices (6 cups)
1 T butter, cut up
8 oz carton vanilla yogurt
1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a 3.5 – 4 quart crock pot, stir together the sugars, tapioca, and cinnamon.
- Stir in apple juice or cider.
- Add apple slices and butter. Stir to mix.
- Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours (or high 3-3.5 hours).
- In a bowl combine the sugar and cinnamon.
- Lightly spray wedges with nonstick coating. Place them in a single layer on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle sugar mixture on top and bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 12 minutes or until crisp (8 minutes for corn tortillas).
- Divide apples and syrup among 8 dessert dishes.
- Top each with vanilla yogurt and pecans.
- Serve with the cinnamon tortilla crisps.